Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late war M-1 C Para

Article about: Morning Gents I do not often ask for opinions on helms but I would like a little feed back on this Late war M-1 C Para that I recently added to my collection as these are a little out of my

?

Default Late war M-1 C Para

Morning Gents I do not often ask for opinions on helms but I would like a little feed back on this Late war M-1 C Para that I recently added to my collection as these are a little out of my comfort zone and a we bit of a mine field
    As best I can tell the liner is a repainted late war production Westy in the proper configuration sporting OD#7 A-Yokes and blackened brass A washers I do believe the chincup is as well a later war four hole as opposed to the earlier war five grommet.
    The liner suspension has been torn which as I start to delve into the world of M-1's I am starting to hear is a fairly common occurance as the sweatbands shrink and can put to much pressure on the webbing causing them to tear needless to say I have loosened off all the sweatbands on the M-1's in my collection.
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    As to the M-1 it is a rear seam swivel bail and as well has been repainted it is my understanding that these can be found in this configuration very late war and early post war alike.
    Am I correct that production on the rear seam swivel Bails started in November of 1944 ?
    There is only a partial heat stamp visable as the rest is obscured by paint it is sporting a cork finish and IMO a stainless steel rim so WW II my best guess on the heat stamp would be ( 1116 B ) this would put the production date as very late in 1944.
    The chinstraps are the longer para OD#7 with press the stud fasteners for attaching to the liner .
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    IMO the net that came with the M-1 is a section of vehicle Camouflage netting and IMO is WW II era as is the hessian scrim.
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    Late war M-1 C Para
    I do have a couple of concerns but will see what some of you other gents have to say first as they may be unfounded as stated these are not my chosen field of collecting so I am on the back side of the learning curve on these any thoughts, opinions and or concerns would be most welcome.

Regards Mark

?

I see nothing wrong with it, looks like a nice M1C. I'm curious what you have concerns about?

?

Many thanks for the reply Austin I was hoping to a get a little more feed back from the membership since posting this example a fellow collector and one of the previous owners has commented on it on a different venue and pointed out a couple of details to me that I did not initially see and or know.
    Such as the RA prefix in the soldiers serial number which I have been told stands for Reserve Army which was first formed in 1946 I have since found three other examples of late war M-1 C's posted on different venues that as well have the RA prefix written in either the liner and or the helmet body so with out a doubt used post war .
    He pointed out that there is a flash hidden under the repaint on the side of the helmet but it is impossible to make out exactly what it is I can only confirm the existance of white paint so anything else would be purely speculation on my part.

Regards Mark

?

You are correct that the RA prefix is a post-WWII thing, but it is actually Regular Army and was used by members who were part of the regular standing army and not the reserves or national guard. I can see the marking you are talking about, but I have no idea what it could be. It is a very nice helmet that was probably used most recently in the late 40's or early '50s.

?

Many thanks Austin I stand corrected on the RA and I am very pleased to have it as part of my collection.

Regards Mark