Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Late ww2 original salty m1 set.

Article about: Ok probably not financially friendly but thats just the way it is when you like a certain look,not to everyone's taste,but couldn't resist this gem from Giorgio (italianwarfront).rear seamed

?

I was watching this lid as well Jake out of curiosity glad you were the one to pick it up are you planning on displaying it as is or are you going to add a little window dressing ie... a net and or a cover for the purpose of display.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark haven't decided yet might just leave it or plonk a Dennison type net on....................

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    That Gary is a good question and certainly needs answering but its difficult at best..In the last year or so I've encountered many like this with this type of finishing and there's a couple of opinions I have...firstly this Helmet never saw hardly any service life and would have thought it finished the war looking like new,so everything you see is postwar,secondly I too thought repaint?maybe plus bad storage where water has sat between the liner and shell giving it this rust look,but its difficult to define brush marks from scrapes.yes the liner is like new the blackened brass A washers still retain all there coating and the shell has no cracks/splits/chips etc.the OD7 chinstraps are solid and complete with only mild oxidising to the metal hardware,Bales have movement but are a little stiff.this was a borderline financial purchase,however the little "S" pot has grown on me enormously......

Hi Jake , please do not think I am questioning your purchase in any way, I still feel it was an excellent purchase on your part by a long way. I was merely struck by the soft focus pictures from the seller and your's which show a lot more detail of possible brush strokes. I totally agree with both of your theories either way a fantastic looking piece and nice to see the details

Not at all Gary,this is a forum and a good one at that,and your quite within your rights to ask anything you like,as always when purchasing an item thats not "in hand" its hard to get a true picture of the colour and texture,having looked at it I think it takes on a differant look to both sets of images,the Helmet is mixed with a large surface area of fine dis-coloured rust patina mixed with a lot of scrapes in many directions,but its still tough to call with regards to a repaint due to the nature of the outer surface..........keep on asking away mate.....edit-certainly near the rim base it looks like brush strokes,and I for one believe "S" pots nearly all seem to be postwar repainted,but why I simply dont know............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Not at all Gary,this is a forum and a good one at that,and your quite within your rights to ask anything you like,as always when purchasing an item thats not "in hand" its hard to get a true picture of the colour and texture,having looked at it I think it takes on a differant look to both sets of images,the Helmet is mixed with a large surface area of fine dis-coloured rust patina mixed with a lot of scrapes in many directions,but its still tough to call with regards to a repaint due to the nature of the outer surface..........keep on asking away mate.....edit-certainly near the rim base it looks like brush strokes,and I for one believe "S" pots nearly all seem to be postwar repainted,but why I simply dont know............
    Hi Jake , well said buddy.
    I read my post back you see and wondered if it came across as negative,obviously not which is good.
    And that's a good point a lot of S pots seem to be repainted post war,weird as there were significantly less S shells made so one would think it would be McCords???

Too try and put things into prospective the vast majority of ww2 shells that remained within the military were repainted during there fairly long service so on the balance of McCord v Schlueter as they seem to exist in such smaller numbers its probably easier to notice them being repainted,my front seamed Schlueter featured on another thread was also repainted around the mid-50's.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2