Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Late WW2 reissued Veitnam M1

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, it's been awhile since I last posted any of my M1's here so here goes. This one was picked up from a military dealer many years ago, what I really like about this one i

?

Default Late WW2 reissued Veitnam M1

Hi Fellow collectors, it's been awhile since I last posted any of my M1's here so here goes. This one was picked up from a military dealer many years ago, what I really like about this one is the mix of late WW2 shell, with original chinstraps ( which incidentally have a VERY feint " Jimi Hendrix Lives!" written on them ) and the 1965 made liner. The cover is fairly unique too as the chinstrap holes have been professionally sewn around , hope you like it as much as I do, and thanks for looking Opex

Late WW2  reissued Veitnam M1

?

That is a true beauty of a Vietnam era M1 Opex. Not only is it great that it is complete shell & straps reissued from WW2 but the condition is 1st class! This sort of lid genuinely puts a smile on my face. Cheers for sharing! Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    That is a true beauty of a Vietnam era M1 Opex. Not only is it great that it is complete shell & straps reissued from WW2 but the condition is 1st class! This sort of lid genuinely puts a smile on my face. Cheers for sharing! Cheers, Sean.

Many thanks Sean, that means a lot. I would like to match it up with a late war liner really,as apart from the poor paint finish it is fairly mint condition

What a pile of!!!!!!Only kidding mate hope you know its a Schlueter you have there?and uncanny I own exactly the same liner by Firestone and in almost un-issued condition like mine too,rear seamed with black painted steel Buckle,decent Mitchell too with just the right amount of wear just the way I like to see them,I've owned 2 Schlueters in the past one front and one rear and sold them both as neither had wartime straps but instead had the North&Judd Anchor type and both too were repaints,overall Gary a very nice and desirable set you have there mate,thanks for showing and keep'on coming............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    What a pile of!!!!!!Only kidding mate hope you know its a Schlueter you have there?and uncanny I own exactly the same liner by Firestone and in almost un-issued condition like mine too,rear seamed with black painted steel Buckle,decent Mitchell too with just the right amount of wear just the way I like to see them,I've owned 2 Schlueters in the past one front and one rear and sold them both as neither had wartime straps but instead had the North&Judd Anchor type and both too were repaints,overall Gary a very nice and desirable set you have there mate,thanks for showing and keep'on coming............

Thanks Jake, I genuinely respect your opinion on these matters , I am surprised it's a big "S" though, I really was not aware of that I assumed it was a McCord!!

What are the signs of the Schlueter , apart from the obvious S??

Really glad you like this one buddy, as I know you are a complete fan of this genre

Hi mate its simple the heat treatment stamp says it all.All Front seamed McCords go roughly up to 1130-1150,then rear seamed from around 1140 to 1280-1290,so how could it be a rear seamed McCord with that lower stamp,also at the bottom of the pic there's half an "S" showing these quite often end up right under the rim thats why its hard to see it.forgot to mention the square cut outs are pretty neat,adds that something slightly differant to the Helmet,also just for the record I saw an identical liner to ours with the same contract DSA date which had an MSA stamp instead of Firestone,this is the only time I've ever seen Firestone using a differant mold tooling head,sorry if this info is boring,but to someone like me it means a massive learning kerb.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Hi mate its simple the heat treatment stamp says it all.All Front seamed McCords go roughly up to 1130-1150,then rear seamed from around 1140 to 1280-1290,so how could it be a rear seamed McCord with that lower stamp,also at the bottom of the pic there's half an "S" showing these quite often end up right under the rim thats why its hard to see it.forgot to mention the square cut outs are pretty neat,adds that something slightly differant to the Helmet,also just for the record I saw an identical liner to ours with the same contract DSA date which had an MSA stamp instead of Firestone,this is the only time I've ever seen Firestone using a differant mold tooling head,sorry if this info is boring,but to someone like me it means a massive learning kerb.

Hi Jake, many thanks buddy I will have a much closer look at the helmet following your advice and information, like you I like the cover's little customisation quirks,I once experimented with McCords having a slightly different profile to the big S models, so an M1 is never just a boring old lump of metal and fabric, most importantly you often remind me of what I once knew but have since forgotten

And never boring always informative