Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Late WW2 US M1 Helmet ?

Article about: I have an M1 helmet which I am sure is the late WW2 type. The stainless steel rim (paint comes off easily and it is shiny metal) has the seam at the rear and several spot welds holding it in

I would like to see better pictures of this helmet to confirm that it is a US m1helmet. The rim does not look right and the swivel loops... I would like to see more pictures before commenting more.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I know there are some close ups but we/I would like to see the helmet as a whole front,sides,back and it sitting on a flat surface.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Those swivel bales look like the ones you see on the West German M-56. A side view of the helmet will determine this as they had a distinctive profile.

Try this.
    Dating M1

I agree more photos would be great. The West German M-56 is quite a rare beast and I have never had one in my hands, indeed they are even hard to find on the net. Could it be a Belgian M51? I know the Belgium M51 changed its bale set up a bit. This is a photo from an identified M51 on this fine forum. If you zoom in it looks similar to the OP helmet's bale set up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late WW2 US M1 Helmet ?  

These reverse bails are very common on Euro-clone u.sch and LS helmets, like standard I think from the late 50’s to late 60’s. don’t even think u.sch helmets has them in any other way. LS helmets you can find with normal US, but much more common this way.
    However I think this is a Chinese clone? On account of the rough / large spots on the rim, but more important the horizontal mis-alignment of the bails with the rim. Looks like they where just throw on. Common on Chinese clones. You will not see this on u.sch and LS euro-clones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2