Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Article about: Hi All, Checked out a local flea market and wound up picking up this Lt. Colonel helmet. Appears to be a put together as there are multiple laundry marks and names in the shell and liner, ho

?

Default Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Hi All, Checked out a local flea market and wound up picking up this Lt. Colonel helmet.

Appears to be a put together as there are multiple laundry marks and names in the shell and liner, however the Lt. Colonel rank appears to be period applied (heat marks around the insignia and on the interior of the shell).

Not up to date on post war shells. Paint leads me to believe 1951+ production, however T1 straps are of the 1965 variety. There is a heat stamp. Can any one help confirm the manufacturer and period of manufacture? Liner is a P51 however I beliueve the sweatband is later (has a DSA #, but can't read the date).

It displays very nicely, regardless of it being a put together. I got it for a good price too, just below the sum of it's parts, so I can't complain.

In any case, hope you enjoy!

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

?

Heat stamp and laundry marks..

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

?

Liner...

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

?

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Latest Find - Lt. Col M1

Eric nice buy,the shell is actually a ww2 McCord made post january 1945,the Liner is a 1953 Capac with the Rarer green A washers and yes the chinstraps are typical post 1965 version,very un-usual texture on the Liner almost like some sort of sand which has been brush applied,so you have a Helmet that spans three decades of the M1 production cycle,like the emblem its a nice touch,overall you done ok,thanks for sharing...............

?

Thanks, Jake! I always have a hard time dating post-war shells, except for the VN era ones as the lighter green paint is an easy indicator.

The liner is of course a Capac which utilized Westinghouse's mold.

My best guess is this is a VN setup, based on the T1 clips, unless of course the Lt Col had them upgraded at some point.

Someone pointed out the rank insignia is the USMC/USN variety with veins on the leaf. It could however still be a lid used by an Army Lt Col who preferred that style insignia. May never know!

nice post war looking lid you have there. Its funny you posted this lid because this last friday i was in arlington national cemetary for my grandmothers uncle who was a lieutenant colonel in the air force. great find.

?

Thanks for the kind words, Danny!