Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Latest M1-C helmet

Article about: This is my latest M1-C. I got this one from a reputable collector/seller in Italy. As I have stated before, my knowledge of American helmets is limited, so I take at face value. This particu

Default Latest M1-C helmet

This is my latest M1-C. I got this one from a reputable collector/seller in Italy. As I have stated before, my knowledge of American helmets is limited, so I take at face value.

This particular helmet has a sand textured finish to it, and the steel rim seems to be narrower than on my other helmets. Right on the front underside on the rim is stamped... SW 1/72, there is no other heat stamp to it. I have checked the dimensions of the helmet with a known US M1 and they match perfectly, so I doubt it is a european clone.

The chinstraps are stitched to the swivel bails. One strap is light green and the other is bordering on khaki. There are slight areas of wear to the straps where they are attached to the bails, but not enough to show up in picture.The stitching used on the straps matches the style used on the neck-strap. There are no makers marks on the chinstrap buckle.The interior webbing to the liner is dated 1967, and the liner carries the mark... M23. The elasticated band on the helmet is of the later type with the 'cats eyes'. The condition of the helmet is extremely good. Comments and thoughts on this helmet would be appreciated.

Harry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest M1-C helmet   Latest M1-C helmet  

Latest M1-C helmet   Latest M1-C helmet  

Latest M1-C helmet   Latest M1-C helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images Latest M1-C helmet 

Default Re: Latest M1-C helmet

Hi Harry.

The cover and liner is definetely US Gi.The shell sounds like it might be a European M1 clone.

I would'nt mind seeing the SW/1 72 stamp.
    I think it might be Danish or Dutch. These Shells are exactly the same dimensions,as US M1's.

Apart my suspicions about the shell,I think this is a great,M1 for anyone's collection.

Hi, want to sell the liner and chinstraps ?lol, by the way Gaz, im having a hard time finding a correct liner for my helmet, at least in my country its going to be impossible, ill have to start looking abroad.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Hi Gaz,
    I did raise doubts about the shell with the seller, but he assures me it is legit. His knowledge is far greater than mine, so I didn't want to argue. I got it off the website of Nuke-Helmets.com, and Fabio - the man who runs it seems to have a fairly good reputation. I have tried my best to get a clear picture of the stamp on the rim, but its still not very clear. You may just make out the 72 from the mark SW 1/72.

Regards,
    Harry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest M1-C helmet  

?

US made shell were never stamped on the rim its normally on the inside of the shell near the front were the peak is only clone M-1's have the number stamped on the rim that ive ever seen ?

SW 1/72 stands for Schubert Werke (Germany) and the date of manufacture: january 1972. I guess it was made for the Netherlands Army. I know of few Dutch helmet shell's made by Schubert and all have this marking: SW 1/72. All Dutch shell's were marked in the rim. Sometimes in the rear mostly in front

Schubert made many liners for the Dutch, marked SW or SH, these are not rare.

The liner is US and the shell straps are definitly not Dutch, but since they do not match as a pair I guess they might be a replacement.

It is not an original configuration. It was put together by someone to increase it's value.

It is not all together impossible for these helmets to have been made for Denmark. But my guess is Dutch.

Cheers,

Many thanks for the information, at least I now know what I have! It is very hard to tell from pictures whether an item you are intending to purchase is correct or not. Sometimes the lesson learned can be rather expensive!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Many thanks for the information, at least I now know what I have! It is very hard to tell from pictures whether an item you are intending to purchase is correct or not. Sometimes the lesson learned can be rather expensive!
    Hi Harry.

The other guy's have beat me to it,but as they say,not US Gi issue, I did have my suspicions.
    My guess .........Dutch.

I'm surprised that this was sold as complete a US,from this dealer,I assumed he had a good reputation, but ti could have been a genuine mistake on his part.

To be honest mate,that's why I joined this forum,and others.

So that I can learn about these lids ,in more detail and to avoid getting conned, but like you say,if you're buying something on-line,you don't really,know what you're getting.

And believe me,I've been ripped off so many times,in the past, that my wallet ( and pride) is still feeling the pinch

Personally, I would try and find a Dutch liner etc,and an M1 shell, and mix and match,at least then,you've two Lids

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi, want to sell the liner and chinstraps ?lol, by the way Gaz, im having a hard time finding a correct liner for my helmet, at least in my country its going to be impossible, ill have to start looking abroad.
    Best regards
    Nuno
    Hi Nuno.

Try ebay UK, I regularly see M1 80's liner's, and the covers too.

And they are not expensive , maybe £10.00, P&P should not be too expensive either.

Give it a try mate ,you never know

Panzereno
    ?

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Best regards
    Nuno
    Hi Nuno, read your message, if you are having no luck in getting a paratrooper liner for your helmet, drop me a line as i have some left over from a collection i bought 12 months ago, best regards
    PANZERENO (Mike)