Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?

Article about: Hello all, Another one of my recently obtained M1's. This is a rear seam M1. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a 1970'S era European clone M1 - The exterior and the liner is painted in

Default Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?

Hello all,

Another one of my recently obtained M1's. This is a rear seam M1. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a 1970'S era European clone M1 - The exterior and the liner is painted in U.N Blue and marked as such. The only marks that I can see inside the helmet are in the front rim; In a triangler fashion I can just see an 'R' and then below this a 'C H'. There is cork or sand on this example. The liner which I can only assume accompanies the helmet is a European made example with markings which I believe are 'SEER' '1982' 'ABL'.

Now I have some questions regarding the legitimacy of actual UN use. The paint is decent and does not look all that old, but if it was refit in the 1980's, it could well still be original - However, the inside of the helmet is not painted blue, I thought that the practice was to paint the inside blue as well. Additionally, although the side lettering looks stenciled, the front UN emblem looks as though it was hand-painted, was this a usual practice?

Any thoughts on this one gentlemen?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?   Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?  

Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?   Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?  

Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?   Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?  

Default Re: Legitimate U.N M1? Anyone recognize these markings?

I think the ABL marking would indicate a Belgian lid?

It is indeed Belgian with that marking. I'd like to see it in hand but I would be inclined to believe in this one so far. I've had a couple of UN helmets and this rings true based on my handling of those.

I have a Norwegian M58 and that liner matches exactly with this one, but my knowledge of euro liners isn't that broad, just my input.