Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Look What's Under the OD Paint!

Article about: nice lid,right now im going to look stupid but whats the best method for removing top layers like this without removing whats original underneath?cheers dave.

Default Re: Look What's Under the OD Paint!

nice lid,right now im going to look stupid but whats the best method for removing top layers like this without removing whats original underneath?cheers dave.

Default Re: Look What's Under the OD Paint!

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    nice lid,right now im going to look stupid but whats the best method for removing top layers like this without removing whats original underneath?cheers dave.
    Dave, I've seen a number of threads suggesting different things. Myself, I used a product called "Goof Off" that is available at pretty much any large hardware store here in the states. I used the liquid form, not the aeresol, and applied with a cotton ball. Once the easier paint came off I had to use a cotton swap (Q-Tip) to get to all the knooks and crannies.

I've taken as much of the outter OD paint, on this Blue/Red M-1 as I am going to, I started removing deeper layers so I had to stop. I'll snap a couple if pictues to show the finished prouduct.

Word of caution with Goof Off.......this stuff is pretty agressive. It worked well on this particular helmet as the blue/red paint seemed to be of pretty good quality and aplied well to the original OD paint and the top layer of OD I removed, liberated itself pretty easy. I used the same process on a WWII dated M-1 shell I have that had a layer of white paint under the last OD coat. Goof Off worked pretty well but the white paint was not quite as good quality as was with the blue/red helmet and I had to be far far more careful not to remove the white, which I have done on several spots. This shell I am still working on, but almost done. THEN, I have a M-1 shell that was painted yellow over the original OD and then a final OD coat which I am trying to remove. Using the Goof Off I am pretty much destroying this shell. the yellow paint is of very low quality and not adheard to the original OD paint well at all.

Moral to the story I guess is to maybe have a few different products to choose from and do some testing on spots you can hide.

It has been a fun learning experiance however, with valuabl lessons learned for the time I need to remove paint from a high value helmet.

Russ

i ran across this plus your sons website a while back and ive been curious about this helmet for a long time i finally found a pic that might give your answer even if the paint is alittle different. but this is a ww2 pilot wearing a steel pot over the soft flight helmet! who'd have thought? im told its a steel pot but it seems to look like a liner to me.

Quote by JeepCreep View Post
    i ran across this plus your sons website a while back and ive been curious about this helmet for a long time i finally found a pic that might give your answer even if the paint is alittle different. but this is a ww2 pilot wearing a steel pot over the soft flight helmet! who'd have thought? im told its a steel pot but it seems to look like a liner to me.
    Yes, it looks more like a liner but as for the paint scheme, it is the very first I have seen the resembles anything close to our lid. This will give us an avenue to go down where the once was not one. Thank you so much for sharing.

Regards,

Russ & Son

also the guy who i got this from said ww2 but i think its korean war or closer to it at least cause it looks like hes in a F-84 C
    i dont know for sure but that doesnt really make a difference for your pot

?

He may be some mechanic or instructor. I can't see anyone going up in a helmet like that.

why not? seems reasonable that this could have been done which is what started the designs of the hard type helmets like the gentex h-4 because pilots wanted more protection than just their skull caps. but you may be right

?

Interesting thread and even more interesting paint scheme on the helmet! Possibly flight school or something?

Maybe it was painted red and blue for a 4th of July parade.

i know this is a little late but i just saw this liner on ebay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Look What's Under the OD Paint!  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast