Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-1 OD Cover Question

Article about: Another item I’ve found little or contradictory information on. I recently purchased a minty M-1 OD cover to add to the M-1 variations grouping I’m putting together for the kid. Best I can c

Default M-1 OD Cover Question

Another item I’ve found little or contradictory information on.

I recently purchased a minty M-1 OD cover to add to the M-1 variations grouping I’m putting together for the kid. Best I can conclude is that these were issued (or at least produced) very late in the Korean war. Some sources I have read say they saw use in Korea, others say they never made it that far and were issued between Korea and Vietnam, being replaced by the infamous Mitchell cover early on in the war.

Does anyone have any solid knowledge of when these OD covers were actually used and who might have used them? The one I have certainly looks to have been cut for the taller high dome M-1 as it is way too long for a Vietnam period shell, but of course nothing a couple slits with a knife could not resolve. I want to make it right, put it on the correct period shell/liner but am kind of clueless at the moment as to what is correct and what is not. No stamp at all on the OD cover either but I purchased from a very reliable source so I have to believe it is authentic until proven otherwise. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

Default Re: M-1 OD Cover Question

Any help here?

?

Nick....once again, you have come through ...

That thread was a very interesting read and, from a couple of the photos provided, I think reasonably concluded that these OD covers did in fact find their way into the Vietnam war even if of very limited use.

Thanks for the help.

Russ