Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M-1s

Article about: Just picked up two rough M-1s. Not my field and I'm mildly confused by what I find on the net, etc. First relic is front seam, rusty non-magnetic rim, Oct. 1943 type bales. Shell cracked. Wa

Default M-1s

Just picked up two rough M-1s. Not my field and I'm mildly confused by what I find on the net, etc.

First relic is front seam, rusty non-magnetic rim, Oct. 1943 type bales. Shell cracked. Was once green, now rusted. Crudely painted 'white' pentagon shape on each side (2.5 inches across). These seem original.

Second helmet is rear seam, stainless non-magnetic rim. Shell cracked. Heat stamp number is 609 (any idea on date?). Triple spot-weld bales. Came with "helmet liner ground troops illegible", mustard-green inside, repainted olive drab outside. Liner may be more modern than the shell. No suspension web.

Sorry can't upload pics, but any help re dating would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat

NCA
    ?

Default Re: M-1s

The first helmet sounds like a late war one.The rim was changed to the same steel as the helmet in october 1944.The pentagons could be 5th corps..
    The second helmet dates to around august/september 1943..the liner sounds like a late 70's early 80's type.Does the suspension attach by snaps?

Thanks for that, NCA.

5th Corps is a possibility although there is no trace of blue, and the workmanship of the pentagons is very poor (running paint). Certainly not a decal or anything you'd expect to find at corps level.

Good to date the second helmet, which is in much better condition than the other, although both are cracked.

The liner has three small buckles and six studs--I wouldn't call them snaps but the right kind of fitting on the suspension might snap onto them (2mm post with a 12mm washer fixed on top/depression in center of washer).

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Pat

A white pentagon could be from the 11th Air Borne Division, 511th Regiment. These 2 are front seam pots, with sewn on para straps, almost definitely of WWII vintage, but I believe the tac marks are from the '50's. Please post pictures of your helmets so we can better assess them. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-1s   M-1s  

M-1s   M-1s  

NCA
    ?

Quote by Patgore View Post
    Thanks for that, NCA.

5th Corps is a possibility although there is no trace of blue, and the workmanship of the pentagons is very poor (running paint). Certainly not a decal or anything you'd expect to find at corps level.

Good to date the second helmet, which is in much better condition than the other, although both are cracked.

The liner has three small buckles and six studs--I wouldn't call them snaps but the right kind of fitting on the suspension might snap onto them (2mm post with a 12mm washer fixed on top/depression in center of washer).

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Pat
    Youre welcome.I got my info from the m1 helmet book.It has a chart for dating McCord helmets although its debated if this is accurate?
    The second liner you describe sounds like 'Liner ground troop's helmet' type.The three little buckles are for the nape strap and the studs are for connecting the web suspension.
    Cracks are common, due to the the deep drawing process in manufacture.

Thanks, Gentlemen:

I think helmet2id has nailed the pentagon. Definitely a tac-mark for 511th PIR. Interesting outfit. It seems they made the last two combat jumps of the war (Tagaytay Ridge/Manilla, and 1/511 only in the Los Banos rescue). B Company of 1/511 actually jumped into the Los Banos camp.

Nice lids, helmet 2id, with template-drawn pentagons. My pentagons were painted freehand but are otherwise identical. I'm working on pics.

Thanks again to you both.

Cheers,

Pat