Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M1

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors, I thought you might like to see another one my M1 helmets for discussion. This one has a Helmet Cover, USMC, and 1945 dated Sun Wind and Dust Goggles.The shell is front

?

Default M1

Hi Fellow Collectors, I thought you might like to see another one my M1 helmets for discussion. This one has a Helmet Cover, USMC, and 1945 dated Sun Wind and Dust Goggles.The shell is front seam with a heatstamp of 143A , with late war chinstraps.The liner is an MSA which has a huge bulge and a hole in it, and a repro sweatband fitted for display purposes only. Thanks for looking and I welcome your comments,Regards Opex

M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1

Again the liner with the hole looks great and so do the m1944 goggles and type 3 mosquito net but its the chinstrap buckle to me it looks modern like someone has rubbed it with sandpaper to add age and wear to it,and note both chinstraps look roughly attached,sorry maybe just me being picky.......

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Again the liner with the hole looks great and so do the m1944 goggles and type 3 mosquito net but its the chinstrap buckle to me it looks modern like someone has rubbed it with sandpaper to add age and wear to it,and note both chinstraps look roughly attached,sorry maybe just me being picky.......

Hi Jake, no problem at all I genuinely value your opinions.

The chinstraps are practically worn through where they go through the bale,but look original as they are just about and literally hanging on by a thread, the green thread looks like an attempt to stop them falling off, the buckle has remnants of green olive paint but I agree it does look a bit artificially "aged" I think the previous owner sanded the paint off, though why it would be painted in the first place I'm not sure?.

I do not recall paying too much for this one, so not bothered too much about it's faults ,but obviously would prefer it to be salty for the right reasons.

Thanks again Jake for your opinion,much appreciated

Well has you know,there were no wartime buckles produced with green paint,only late war blackened brass type and this does look very much like mild steel,certainly doesn't look like a nicely aged 70 year old item,i can live with someone adding a few stitches to secure the strap to the bales.........

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well has you know,there were no wartime buckles produced with green paint,only late war blackened brass type and this does look very much like mild steel,certainly doesn't look like a nicely aged 70 year old item,i can live with someone adding a few stitches to secure the strap to the bales.........

Agreed good points made, is it possible that the shell was used post war ( maybe Korean war) hence the chinstraps ??