Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne

Article about: A recent pickup, a named rear seam M1-C with bar tack sewn on straps and a welded Lieutenant's bar affixed to the front. It has been repainted, but it has what looks like cork texture under

Default M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne

A recent pickup, a named rear seam M1-C with bar tack sewn on straps and a welded Lieutenant's bar affixed to the front. It has been repainted, but it has what looks like cork texture under the paint. Also, the soldier's serial number does not appear to include the prefix "RA", for "Regular Army". War time serial numbers did not start "RA". Based upon the serial number and the cork texture I think it probably was late War issued. I bought it because of the rank device and the fact that the insignia of the 82nd A/B Division can be made out on the sides of the shell under the paint. The helmet came with an unpainted rigger made liner, but one of the "Y" straps was missing, and the webbing was damaged and torn. I switched it with one I already had. I am not too sure about the replacement liner, a CAPAC, and invite discussion about it. The "Y" straps on that one are attached under the "A" rivets, but the "A" rivets under which the "Y" straps are affixed are slightly different in appearance than the others. The ends of the "Y" straps are burned, however, which I believe was common practice when the Riggers converted standard liners to airborne liners, so it has a chance of being a real rigger made piece. It is named, but I can't find the name or the serial number in the NARA records. When I bought that liner it had a tag tucked into the webbing that reads, in part "Co 'D' 325th AIR". I really don't know if the tag is legit, but since the 325th was a glider infantry regiment attached to the 82nd Airborne in WWII I thought these pieces would make a decent match and display well, so I "married" them. The chin cup was on the original liner, so I swapped that out as well. I hope the replacement liner is okay, but to me the important part of this piece is the shell. All comments and opinions are welcome. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne   M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne  

M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne   M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne  

M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne   M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne  

M1-C Rear Seam Paratrooper Helmet - 82nd Airborne  

?

Nice 2nd pattern M1C late war airborne helmet shell.
    The rigger made liner is interesting.

I like those Paratrooper M-1s. I guess I need to add that to my list.... Very long, and expensive list.

A very cool helmet - I think swapping out the
    liner helps complete it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Looked at this thread a few times now hope this might lead to a discussion on it for you, by people more up on these items than me.
    I like the m1c shell, don’t think it would be that late in the war as it has a stainless steel rim, pity you can’t make out the heat stamp. It’s hard to see the insignia from the pictures, you will see them better in hand.
    I also like the original rigger liner and chin cup.
    A nice interesting pick up.
    I am the same as you, not sure about the rigger replacement liner.
    I suspect perhaps some were made this way until it was decided drilling out the old rivets was too much like hard work. Just theory!
    It would be nice to know if all these (rigger) “A” frames were supplied by the same supplier.
    Compare them to the one that is left on the original liner like the shape/material/size of the buckle and stitching ect. You never know they might be the same. I would also be looking at the rivets that hold them in place for shape and size either side, they will be flared out differently depending on the thickness of material they have gone through.
    A nice catch well done. I wouldn’t say no.
    Regards
    Rod

Thanks for the interest gentlemen. I posted this one on GHW as well, and Mike, aka Sgtdorango, who is very knowledgeable on all things airborne, posted this:

"Thats a beautiful M1C and the replacement para liner you married it with looks to be one of the rigger made para liners ive heard of the 82nd AB doing this too unlike the more usual rigger para liners with the A yokes just added seperate from the suspension A washers much like the factory KW para liners...not sure what year they did it, also the AIR is for Airborne Infantry Regiment and the AB started using that term in a particular year after WWII, (WWII terms were PIR and GIR)...cant remember when will have to check a few books and references...very nice helmet....ive also seen tags like yours for when a liner was turned in to be fixed or repaired and probably used also when the riggers converted them....usually theres more info and sometimes has a printed tag with lines to be filled out with the info yours has.....mike"

Based upon the information provided by Mike I am very confident that the replacement liner, the name tag in it and the "325th AIR" property tag, are all correct and that the replacement liner is in fact a real but post War rigger made item. Since the 325th was associated with the 82nd A/B as a Glider Infantry Regiment during WWII, and an Airborne Infantry Regiment post War, I can now keep the pieces "married" on the shelf with a clear conscience. Thanks again for your interest. I am glad you all like this one. Cheers, Jim Geanuracos

The shell was probably a post war issue - it is believed that rear seam M1C helmets were not used during WWII.
    That being said it is a nice piece.
    I know because I sold it to you.
    As for the liner, I would keep the original liner with it because they came together.
    Rigger liners were also not believed to be used during WWII.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    The shell was probably a post war issue - it is believed that rear seam M1C helmets were not used during WWII.
    That being said it is a nice piece.
    I know because I sold it to you.
    As for the liner, I would keep the original liner with it because they came together.
    Rigger liners were also not believed to be used during WWII.
    Hi Anton, Thank you for a very nice piece. It will have a permanent spot on the shelf, and although I have the replacement liner in it (for aesthetic purposes) rest assured that the original rigger liner will stay with the piece as long as I have it. Cheers, Jim G.

Jim, I am glad you like it.
    I was not knocking it at all.
    To the contrary, It is a really nice piece.
    Good to hear it has a nice new home.
    Also glad you are keeping the liner.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Jim, I am glad you like it.
    I was not knocking it at all.
    To the contrary, It is a really nice piece.
    Good to hear it has a nice new home.
    Also glad you are keeping the liner.
    Hi Anton, I never considered your post to be a knock, I want to learn about these and appreciate very much any information from those with more knowledge than I. Again, I really like the piece. Thanks, Jim G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast