Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M1 cork or sand.

Article about: Have been meaning to ask this for a while,has any one seen this amount of CORK/SAND on any other M1 lids,these images are from one particular seller who regularly sells many types of M1'S in

Default M1 cork or sand.

Have been meaning to ask this for a while,has any one seen this amount of CORK/SAND on any other M1 lids,these images are from one particular seller who regularly sells many types of M1'S in all sorts of conditions.but these which i own a couple just stand out from the average WW2 usual worn down CORK types.Is it postwar field applied silca sand with repaint or just unissued WW2 vintage?regards minnie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 cork or sand.   M1 cork or sand.  

M1 cork or sand.  

?

Default Re: M1 cork or sand.

By the way it's caked on, I'd say re-applied. God knows when or where.

Nitram

So deffo not a McCord turn out then?well i always thought postwar field applied personally,regards minnie.

Looks like the efforts done to some helmets during refurb post war. I've seen the thick, almost oatmeal like coating before. Most didn't fare as well as this sample you provide.

I would say post Vietnam, probably 1970's 1980's refurbs, I saw a whole cart full of these at the surplus store for $10 each, I picked through the whole lot and found a WWII Schlueter with original finish

I also found some early WWII fixed bales that were converted to swivel bale and had a higher than normal dome and the refinish was so thick it almost looked like a thick green mossy coat

all of them had the post Vietnam or last type of clip on removable chin strap with web chin cups and snap closure