Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M1 Evaluation

Article about: It looks like one - but it is not. 'Talker' cups are elongated. ( Doesn't belong on the helmet anyway ! ) If it were me, I would give it a good bath.........

?

Default Re: M1 Evaluation

Does anyone know anything about the ink stamp? And am I correct to identify it as a Nam' era lid?

I've also found very faint traces of red paint on the chinstrap, and on the exterior of the helmet. I agree that it might have been used by some deck hand or gunner. Now I need a nice period liner to go with it. After a preliminary clean, the chinstrap is indeed brown, just very dark/dirty.

EDIT - A quick clean, and here's some close ups of the chinstrap:
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation
    M1 Evaluation

As you can see, it's in bad shape, and I'm scared to put any stress on it so it doesn't rip.

Nitram
    Last edited by Nitram; 03-07-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added pictures

?

Default Re: M1 Evaluation

I've measured the helmet, from bale to bale, along the inside of the shell, it's 42cm; while a Dutch M53, based on the WWII M1 is 47 cm, due to the shallower profile, and paint job, I think it's safe to say it's a Nam era manufacture. I'm going to leave it as is, in it's "salty" shape; just gave it a quick wash with a moist cloth.

M1 Evaluation

I still need to ID the above stamp, NickD suggested it could have been stamped for inventory purposes.

Thanks for all your opinions, and if anyone comes across a similar config, please let me know!

Nitram

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3