Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Front seam fixed Bale

Article about: Hi people, Bought this M1 on a wim a couple of years ago as it was fairly cheap , I suppose the thing that caught my eye was that it was Front seam (WW2 ?) & fixed Bale (WW2 ?). The line

Default M1 Front seam fixed Bale

Hi people, Bought this M1 on a wim a couple of years ago as it was fairly cheap , I suppose the thing that caught my eye was that it was Front seam (WW2 ?) & fixed Bale (WW2 ?). The liner is a Firestone (Knapstrap missing) in fairly minty condition which probably isn't original to the shell with a probable post war chin strap. The outer shell as said is fixed bale front seam with machine stitched chin straps that have been repaired by riveting (Argie style ?). There appears to be NO heatstamp, previous owners have rubbed down the paint in the usual area & i can't see one else where. any opinions please gentlemen, thanks in advance ,cheers Paul.M1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed Bale

Out of interest is it for sell???

No Mate not at present ,cheers Paul

looks like a McCord fixed bale shell that perhaps has been repainted with a sand texture instead of the original cork. Its hard to tell but it looks pretty smooth.
    the chin strap looks original but obviously has been reattached with rivets. (any marks on these rivets?)
    Not sure why the firestone shield mark is smaller than the numbers below it. (are they raised or imprinted in the liner).
    post some pictures of liner and its components. this may help the guys.
    Regards
    Rod

Beautiful looking Helmet,thats postwar sand camo texture thats been added,I have one also,put on in clumps,very sharp to touch,the Rivet chinstraps are really cool looking,the Firestone stamp looks fine to me,and don't worry about the Heatstamp,some shells were lightly stamped,have you looked under the left Bale,as they sometimes ended up being stamped in a completely differant place,this Helmet just has a great presence and a certain look to it,thanks for sharing....................

Forgot to say don't let steve see the rubbed heatstamp area he like me thinks it completely ruins a Helmet and its originality,I know its not seen with the Liner in but I still know its there,just me being picky............Also I think the chinstraps are an original wartime replacement set,that might explain the rivet,also its unusual to see that Buckle hardware with a Fixed Bale,as this was the last type during ww2 to be produced,usually seen from June 44 onwards................

is that a faint inland stamp underneath the firestone shield. I think it is ,which would explain the small looking size of that shield. seen this before. thought it looked strange. A inland liner finished by firestone. makes it more interesting.
    nice one.

Rod

here's a link to a couple of others. So the theory is firestone got a hold of inland moulds and tried to erase the inland logo and add there own. hope this helps. Helmet Liner Maker Markings - Page 2 - HIGH PRESSURE LINERS [REF] - U.S. Militaria Forum there's also a nice picture on post 15 of that thread.
    Rod

Hi Rod its not a theory but fact mate,when Inland closed its doors,Firestone purchased there Toolings,including dies and moldheads plus the 200 tonne presses,there known as double stamped liners,and yes the Inland logo is almost erased by the placement of the "F" and sheild over the top,these are usually seen mostly in the Blackened Brass A washer liners,but there are some with the Olive Drab steel types.................

Thanks for all your replys people, All this info is what makes this hobby so interesting, i believe my lining is a Firestone overstamped Inland thanks for the info Rod , Find attached lining stamp & liner pictures,cheers PaulM1 Front seam fixed BaleM1 Front seam fixed Bale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast