MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 Front seam fixed Bale

Article about: Hi people, Bought this M1 on a wim a couple of years ago as it was fairly cheap , I suppose the thing that caught my eye was that it was Front seam (WW2 ?) & fixed Bale (WW2 ?). The line

?

Great info Guy's!!!!
    I just wanted to add that my fixed bail McCord has the heat stamp on the inside front edge just before where it starts to flare out to form the bill.
    Mine in well worn but also has that stress fracture.
    I heard that the cracking was very common with the early ones.

I hope to get an answer for my question from the Gent's here that have a wealth of info on these.

Was this due to the type of manganese steel used or was it due to the heat treatment?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nope still can't find that elusive heatstamp, Maybe it is on the outside covered in paint !!!

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Nope still can't find that elusive heatstamp, Maybe it is on the outside covered in paint !!!
    Easily resolved just send me the Helmet and I'll find it for you,and then forget to return it.................

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Great info Guy's!!!!
    I just wanted to add that my fixed bail McCord has the heat stamp on the inside front edge just before where it starts to flare out to form the bill.
    Mine in well worn but also has that stress fracture.
    I heard that the cracking was very common with the early ones.

I hope to get an answer for my question from the Gent's here that have a wealth of info on these.

Was this due to the type of manganese steel used or was it due to the heat treatment?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil,I'll probably get toasted for saying this but I've always believed its the conditions in which a Helmet has been stored over the 70 years rather than a early production problem,If it is true then i'm sorry but its a way too hit and miss theory for me,for every one produced having a crack there's two or three without so how can this be purely an early fault?here's two of mine, heatstamp 198 without cracks and 562 with two cracks,I seem to be alone with my theory,and you see most sellers banging home the early production myth with every ebay or website sale...............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Front seam fixed Bale   M1 Front seam fixed Bale  

That's a nice minty liner you have with it, does it have its original paint job or has it been repainted as well? I agree the leather chin strap is either post war or from a European clone.
    I have a helmet where the heat stamp is half way up the forehead and is very faint, some I have seen as far round as near the bale. don't worry to much about it. it is obviously early war production.
    As for the stress cracks I'm going with the theory that some batch's of helmets were simply made with bad batch's of steel. but cant decide if the cracks happened then or caused by time. I must admit that lots of helmets seem to show rust in these cracks which suggests they weren't there when the helmet was painted. just a theory remember.
    Rod

It is the original paint on the liner Rod & like i say ,i don't think the liner is original to the outer shell,but you Know what ? i think its a bit of a keeper. Cheers chaps ,Paul

Rods theory is more plausible than mine but it only seems to be a small percentage that have these cracks,and usually only found on original wartime Helmets,meaning not the one's that stayed on in service for Korea/Vietnam.................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2