Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 front seam fixed bale.. battle for Siegfriedline

Article about: Hey folks, I recently picked up this cool helmet. A soldier left it at farmhouse during the liberation of The Netherlands.. close to the german border near the city of Aachen. So I guess som

MAP
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    The only thing sticky round these parts are your fingers Michael.............
    Ouch!!! Guilty as charged as I have been grabbing some nice items lately. LoL!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That ain't all you've been grabbing Lol...................

MAP
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    That ain't all you've been grabbing Lol...................
    I have nothing to come back with on that!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Seriously the shell has had a repaint,wartime or postwar?..............

Really? The wear on top of the shell looks very naturally.. curious for answers.. thanks for the reply

A repaint is not a big problem. could have been done very easily war time. to me this is the trouble with all painted helmets no one can really tell when they were repainted.
    You can see just to the left of the heat stamp on your picture the two different shades of green. Plus the cork texture just above the rim isn't as sharp as you would expect on factory painted helmet. This area hardly gets any normal wear.
    On some old pictures of ww2 GI's you can see that it looks likes many painted there helmets.
    Its a nice helmet and I am glad you are enjoying it.
    Remember these are just opinions you have it in hand.
    all the best
    Rod

Default Bale type and markings

Hello,

Just wanna add some more pics. Looks like a repaint indeed.. but the wear on top suggests it has been field repainted. Also looks like something has been carved on the back of the lid "EX" and looks like there are remains of white marking. Also some remains of red paint near the heatstamp.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks.. take care
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 front seam fixed bale.. battle for Siegfriedline   M1 front seam fixed bale.. battle for Siegfriedline  

M1 front seam fixed bale.. battle for Siegfriedline   M1 front seam fixed bale.. battle for Siegfriedline  

Could have been repainted because someone else became the owner of the helmet. and that was there name or number on the underside of the rim painted red. Plus that may have been that persons unit mark on the side. Easiest way of removing both would be to repaint the helmet.
    But hey this is just guess work, anything might have happened.
    If it were mine it would be very temping to gently remove that top layer of green over the unit mark to see what it exposes, because its not an expensive helmet. Then again many people would say don't mess with it. No one likes a messed with helmet.
    This is not advice think about it carefully.
    Rod

Thanks Rod,

It is tempting to remove some paint but I guess it's the guessing what makes helmets like these interesting for me. Indeed it's not expensive money wise, but to me it is history wise. It is found nearby so it literally has to be from a soldier who carried it liberating this area. So I hope to get more opinions from people like you I don't have enough knowledge/experience in these repaint topics.

Again it feels really old.. it has an authentic look/feel and vibe to it. The wear makes sense.. also on the inside of the lid.. there is a lot of wear were the liner used to be.

Cheers

I like it as is it buddy, drop a liner in and it will display nicely, straps are optional, they are about not cheap but will give it a complete look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2