Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

m1 helmet

Article about: hi guys here's some pics of my other m1 helmet i believe this to be mid 80's production the lid has a large s stamped on the inner lip would any body know what this cammo cover is designated

Default m1 helmet

hi guys here's some pics of my other m1 helmet i believe this to be mid 80's production the lid has a large s stamped on the inner lip would any body know what this cammo cover is designated its seems very worn for the age of the helmet and strangely there are no inks stamp markings on it ,regards james m1 helmetm1 helmetm1 helmetm1 helmetm1 helmetm1 helmetm1 helmet

NCA
    ?

Default Re: m1 helmet

The cover is an early 80's woodland camo cover.The markings have probably just faded over time...the marks on mine are only just visible in the right light.
    The steel shell is a Schleuter which would make it a ww2 vintage.There should be a number above the 'S'.

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    The steel shell is a Schleuter which would make it a ww2 vintage.There should be a number above the 'S'.
    correct SCHLUETER only made M-1 shells during WW2

is that right i have a vintage ww2 shell crikey i am very pleased now thank you both for the information ,its funny but the seller advertised it as vietnam period the shell is stamped 454A the finish is very smooth could this of been surplus ww2 it might of been repainted a few time s and i can see remenants of a very dark paint poss blue or black ,also is the woodland cammo cover the one they call edrl ? or are they two different patterns thanks again for all the info regards james
    Last edited by James C; 11-30-2011 at 12:19 PM.

?

yes your shell would have been WW2 surplus repainted & reissued as for your cover it is indeed the woodland pattern ERDL & woodland do look similar look at the pics below at my ERDL cover you can see there is a difference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m1 helmet   m1 helmet  

m1 helmet   m1 helmet  

thanks again nick for the info i am by know means an expert on these lids and your knowledge is most welcome also im liking your vast amount of displayed m1's they look great together cheers mate

?

no worries mate glad to help & thanks for the complement