Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet

Article about: Hello everybody, I brought this helmet when I was a boy, at a car boot sale more than twenty years ago, for just a few pounds. I dont know anything about M1 helmets but I have been looking a

Default M1 helmet

Hello everybody, I brought this helmet when I was a boy, at a car boot sale more than twenty years ago, for just a few pounds. I dont know anything about M1 helmets but I have been looking at previous threads and researching it a bit elsewhere. It seems to me that the shell is of postwar production due to the slightly lower profile and light green paint (it also has a rear seam of course) and is probably of the Vietnam era. I cannot find a stamped number in the dome, there is just an ink marking (shown). I understand the liner however, is wartime, by Firestone. The chinstrap is known to be a reproduction.

I am now looking for an inexpensive wartime shell, im not too fussy about the condition as long as its all original.

I just wanted to show it however in case I have got anything wrong or anyone can add anything else. Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet   M1 helmet  

M1 helmet   M1 helmet  

M1 helmet   M1 helmet  

M1 helmet   M1 helmet  

M1 helmet  

Default Re: M1 helmet

how you going. the liner looks like black a washers should make it 44 45. but the sweat band looks post war. ink stamped on the helmet im to shore about.

?

Douglas, I think you got it right. I have a decent swivel bale shell if you're interested. WW2 vintage, nothing special, and inexpensive.

?

The sweatband appear to be a later addition from the 50s and the shell looks like it is from the 50s or 60s

Thanks for your responses. Gitana, I will take a look at the helmet if you want to post some pictures and give me a price, also please let me know which country you are in.

M1 helmet

Yep, a mixed bag of parts and vintages. Keep the liner and try to locate a period sweat band. I just picked up an original WII M1 shell for $85 so they are out there. Chin straps are supposed to be bar tacked (not clipped) so finding a shell with the chin strap intact is preferable. You can gussy it up with a period camo net - they are fairly inexpensive and available. Attached a photo of the M1 I put back together. NH