Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

m1 helmet

Article about: Hello, just received this helmet in the post today, disapointed to see that its a Belgian m51 clone and not a US WW2 helmet as stated by the seller. Would fellow members be good enough to co

im really glad to hear you will be refunded and quite rightly so ,i would like to know the reasons for the seller's refusal to refund ,he is out of order and shouldnt be allowed to trade period ,i hope you find that original m1 your looking for douglas

Thanks James, the guy is a complete idiot unfortunately. He clearly has a large number of these Belgian shells, now no longer claiming to be US helmets Belgium barn find helmets | eBay He accepted straight away that the helmet was not what he said it was, and offered me a partial refund. He also said, bizarrely, that he had a collection of more than 200 helmets (which is a suprisingly large number, and if so, why dosnt he know anything about M1's) However when I refused the partial refund (the helmet is worthless after all) he got angry and complained that I was being unreasonable. He then said he would refund fully after a few days, but three weeks later still had not done so, so I asked ebay to intervene. After reading his messages they agreed to refund me.

?

Hi Doug, I like it and it appears to have a lovely patina on the shell,with what appears to be some interesting writing on the rear,well worth investigation,and compared to some of the more obviously messed with M1's on Ebay,this one has character,but it is a subjective thing I guess.

I checked through Ebay last night,and there seems to be a serious shortage of wartime shells with there original chinstraps,personally i feel the hobbie has hit an all time low with the vast majority of good quality Helmets resideing in collections with no prospect of being released into the open market,what is available seems to be nothing short of really bad messed about with stuff,hopefully things may pick up soon,also complete Helmets seem to out way just shells by a very large margin,as for the US seller link i bought once and to be honest a complete waste of time and certainly money,every shell has come from the storage depots of the late 70's,all have been repainted more than once,have had the very heavy texture added which falls off in lumps when you handle them,and most dont have chinstraps so when you purchase a shell for $20 x $55 shipping x $20 customs or inport tax,it just isn't worth the money or hassle,will look out for one Doug........

I always wondered where that seller got so many M1 shells from; literally thousands have gone through him. Yeh I agree that most of his shells have heavy re-use and most have some damage but don't completely count him out - I have got some great examples and deals from him, this was especially the case when I started in late 2012 when shipping to Australia was not as pricey.

Best regards,
    Chris

Thanks very much for all the responses. Following on from offers of help already, I would like to ask everyone to please help me find a front seam M1 shell in original condition. I already have a good liner. If anyone sees one and lets me know it would be really appreciated.

I agree about the link I posted. Most of his helmets are as you say without chinstraps and are a bit battered, but occasionally he has listed some decent examples that have sold very cheaply. I had a Firestone liner hanging around for two years before I managed to buy exactly what I was looking for, and considering the millions manufactured. You just have to keep looking tirelessly and maybe that's part of the fun.

If you know anyone in the States willing to receive a parcel on your behalf and post it on to you, plenty of shells and complete lids sell on U.S ebay by sellers unwilling to post worldwide.

(Sorry didn't see your request for a front-seamed shell until now so have removed the e-bay links. If I see anything I'll let you know.)

Cheers,

Ian
    Last edited by canti44; 03-02-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Thanks very much for all the responses. Following on from offers of help already, I would like to ask everyone to please help me find a front seam M1 shell in original condition. I already have a good liner. If anyone sees one and lets me know it would be really appreciated.
    will do Doug,do you want just wartime?or front seam?with original straps i presume?either way unless someone on here has one going spare its not going to be cheap,if buying from the US either ask someone here to maybe help out or try to find a low cost Helmet where the seller is using the Global Postage program this can work out better sometimes,but not always,best of luck anyway.........

Quote by christek View Post
    I always wondered where that seller got so many M1 shells from; literally thousands have gone through him. Yeh I agree that most of his shells have heavy re-use and most have some damage but don't completely count him out - I have got some great examples and deals from him, this was especially the case when I started in late 2012 when shipping to Australia was not as pricey.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Yes chris Thousands being the operative word,I spoke with him a few years back,he had 3 large barns full of the bloody things

Thanks very much for all your replies so far. I am indeed looking for a ww2 helmet shell with stainless steel front seam and original paint, in reasonably good condition. I would of course prefer chinstraps but I will have to see what comes up. I have no idea how much a helmet like this will cost, so I will be doing more research.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast