Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

m1 Helmet

Article about: Hello, just about to hand over money for this WW2 M1 helmet, can anyone see any problems? Clearly the photographs are not good. Any help appreciated. Doug

I don't know what the rest think, but I think it was done a long time ago, the reason I think it has been repainted is that the cork is not as sharp to look at as it is on other originals I have seen.
    Rod

NCA
    ?

From here it looks like an old paint job...the vast majority of M1's were repainted more than once.Who's to say when??Someone show me a ww2 paintjob next to a 100% Korean war era paintjob...Certainly a late liner...sportsmans bet...Westinghouse

The problem is when you have to rely on pics its difficult at best to determine whether the paint is original or not...if the shell has had quite an extensive service life then the cork becomes very worn down and can give off a sheen which may give the impression of a postwar repaint using a paint which gives off a shine,to try and work out which one of these it actually is becomes a nightmare,so many items purchased once in hand gives a much alternative look,also as stated only five years seperate ww2 and Korea so the answer is both would have a very similar appearance.late war OD7 chinstraps with replacement T1 hook,Brass A washer liner (last type produced).now for my real pet hate (personal choice) but many GI'S attached the sweatband to the headband as this made the Helmet more comfortable to wear,however when you see what the clips do to the HBT webbing,there's no overcoming this and therefore crinkled up material results,so for me I try to avoid this set up if possible,all the best with the purchase Doug and keep us updated............

I am grateful for the help. I have bought the helmet and will provide some more pictures when it arrives.

Thanks Doug for the update............

Ok, helmet arrived. Liner by CAPAC, shell has heat stamps. Any comments welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m1 Helmet   m1 Helmet  

m1 Helmet   m1 Helmet  

m1 Helmet   m1 Helmet  

m1 Helmet   m1 Helmet  

m1 Helmet  

?

Hi Douglas not an expert on these by any means but IMO the paint job was done some time ago by the age wear and patina so at least not a modern repaint I do rather like it and would be happy to put it on my shelf thanks for showing.

Regards Mark

Thank you. Here is the helmet again with some related items from my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m1 Helmet   m1 Helmet  

Nice set up Doug, love the shell and liner too, dont forget to pick up a nice liner chinstrap too.

I think I might be wrong Doug. That could be original paint.
    It may even have been a fixed bale judging from the dimple on the rim at the bale and the heat stamp looks like 88C. perhaps it got a quick coat of paint when the bales were replaced to protect weld marks.

Its a nice one anyway well done.
    Rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast