Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.

Article about: This helmet was given to me around 45 years ago, by a friend of mine, when both were kids. It comes from a farm, mid way from Appennini Mountains and Po river, north of Italy. It has many la

?

Default M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.

M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.

This helmet was given to me around 45 years ago, by a friend of mine, when both were kids. It comes from a farm, mid way from Appennini Mountains and Po river, north of Italy. It has many layers of paint. It was apparently first a "medic" helmet, then it was painted again with the blue four-leaved clover of the 88th Infantry Division, the Blue Devils.
    Why this helmet was abandoned? Was the soldier wearing it killed or wounded?
    I believe that the 88th didn't have so many casualties in that final phase of the war, April 45, during the run to cross the Po river. Knowing the names and places of casualties, it would maybe possible to trace the name of the soldier 88th who used this helmet.

Default Re: M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.

Welcome to the forum!

Let me start off by saying that my unit reenacts the 88th division, and that I have always wanted an original 88th I.D. helmet. If you ever decide to pass this on, please put me at the top of the list!

The helmet could have been left for a variety of reasons. It's really impossible to say. Equipment was left all over the place on all fronts. It might have been lost, tossed aside when the owner was taken prisoner, left behind after he was injured and evacuated, etc. It's a cool helmet regardless!

Check this out. You might be interested in seeing these photos: 88th Division, T/5 William Steele

Welcome from me to the forum as well.
    Looks like that helmet has a bit of history about it.
    It was perhaps throw away because the bails broke off you will never know.
    How far apart are the remains of the spot welds centre to centre where the bails were located, they look quite wide in the picture.
    Regards
    Rod

Hello once again to the forum!! Looks a great historic helmet from here,as Mr obikrieger has said,if you are looking to pass this on he 's your man!! As for any kind of value I really do not know(although I know it is quality and worth several £££'s!!),but any of the "established" fellows here will not only let you know,but also will not "rip " you off. Leon.

i agree with leon, this should be worth alot. love the helmet!
    Last edited by Larry C; 06-24-2013 at 02:07 AM.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Let me start off by saying that my unit reenacts the 88th division, and that I have always wanted an original 88th I.D. helmet. If you ever decide to pass this on, please put me at the top of the list!

The helmet could have been left for a variety of reasons. It's really impossible to say. Equipment was left all over the place on all fronts. It might have been lost, tossed aside when the owner was taken prisoner, left behind after he was injured and evacuated, etc. It's a cool helmet regardless!

Check this out. You might be interested in seeing these photos: 88th Division, T/5 William Steele
    You have no shame OB. I like your train of thought. Now man up and offer him a couple of hundred for it.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    You have no shame OB. I like your train of thought. Now man up and offer him a couple of hundred for it.
    I would be happy to, should he choose to let it go!

Strange how no one has mentioned the famous dimple on the rim?but how could this be in Italy,no Airborne troops were used there were they?probably another one ear-marked for conversion which never took place,unless the dimple theory is all but a myth,and maybe just an ordinary fixed Bale at best but the lid is a fantastic piece of history to own,thanks for showing...............Jake.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Strange how no one has mentioned the famous dimple on the rim?but how could this be in Italy,no Airborne troops were used there were they?probably another one ear-marked for conversion which never took place,unless the dimple theory is all but a myth,and maybe just an ordinary fixed Bale at best but the lid is a fantastic piece of history to own,thanks for showing...............Jake.
    Paratroopers were used extensively in Italy by both sides. However, this helmet is just a regular fixed bale. The insignia on the front is for the 88th Infantry Division, which is just a regular Army infantry division. Read more here: 88th Infantry Division (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.M1 helmet, 88th division, Po valley, Italy.

Thanks to everybody. Two more pictures showing the distance (3 cm) between the spot welds where the bails were located. Please note that this helmet had also a very active "civil" life as big ladle in the farm where I recovered it. It is amazing how layers of paint and insigna survived on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast