Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions

Article about: I,ve often thought about these dimples as well, and thought it could be something to do with centre (alignment) marks for the bales. But what puts me of that idea is the fact that they didn’

Default M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions

Hello, I bought this helmet about 2 years ago. I know the liner isn't WW2. It has a sticker in it saying Mecarta 1961. But I was wondering if the shell is WW2.

Front seam, looks stainless steal, swivel rings, heat stamping 282B. The inside is written LT ALMY, don't know how old the name is. So I'm not sure what these are going for for price. I payed $60 for it. So any info would help. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions   M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions  

M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions   M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions  

?

Default Re: M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions

yes your shell is WW2 & dates from about September 1942 with that heat stamp number which also means this was once a fixed bail version but was converted/upgraded at a later date to the swivel bail version.

Thanks Nick for that information. I never knew that the fixed bails were ever converted. Have you or anybody else see names in the shell written like this one? I hope I didn't pay to much for it. I was thinking of using it in WW2 reenactments.

I see names in helmets often - mostly written with a marker.
    This lid will be great for re-enacting.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The writing looks like it was done with a black colored pencil, like a black crayon

Not a big deal, no one will see it anyway - unless you also use it
    as a shaving/washing/cooking pot.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

LOL or bail out your fox hole after it rains!

?

another interesting little thing about your M-1 near where the bail is you can see whats called a dimple these have been associated with the rare M-2 D bail airborne helmet this means at some point your M-1 may have been ear marked to have become an airborne helmet but never made it that far i have a couple of fixed bail lids with this dimple
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions  

Hey Nick, what's the dimple for - aligning or centering the bales ?
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-11-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

at a guess i would say yes nobody has really given an explanation for the dimples other then being associated with M-2 helmets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast