Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions

Article about: I,ve often thought about these dimples as well, and thought it could be something to do with centre (alignment) marks for the bales. But what puts me of that idea is the fact that they didn’

Default Re: M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions

I,ve often thought about these dimples as well, and thought it could be something to do with centre (alignment) marks for the bales. But what puts me of that idea is the fact that they didn’t leave them on the rims to mark swivel bails centres.
    Im leaning towards that they might be have been made by the tool (clamp)which held the bail in position till it was welded. I don’t think the bale ends were flattened before they were welded, but this was caused by great pressure when it was fused onto the helmet. And that’s what fakers have trouble duplicating.
    Just my thought on it
    Don’t ask me to explain why some fixed bales apparently don’t have a dimple because that throws this theory right out the window.lol
    Rod

Wow thank you for all the information. I never even noticed the dimples.

Well instead of starting a new thread on another M1 I'll just do it here. I got an U.S. helmet back in the 80's when I was like 10 years old. I had a Vietnam camo cover on it with late style liner. Well I've drugged this helmet with me all over and put it in and out of storage, even tried to sell it at last years yard sale for $10. Well with all this information that all you experts have provided here I thought I better look at it. With this helmet I thought it was a foreign country look a like. Its been sanded and repainted, chin strap is newer and the rim is missing. I looked at it and the heat stamping is 841F. It was a front seam, but the rim is gone. I never thought it was from WW2.

So can this helmet be brought back to its original form?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions   M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions  

M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions   M1 helmet? Bought awhile back, questions  

?

again this would have originally been of WW2 issue dating around march 1944 unfortunately you wont be able to replace the rim so you might as well leave as is add a 70,s-80,s liner & cover to make a nice display piece

Thanks Nick and all the others that gave information about my WW2 helmets. I appreciate it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2