Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet camo

Article about: I took a chance on eBay and bought the following helmet. I helmet does come with a 14 Day return policy it was listed as a original ww2 helmet which I knew was wrong I think it maybe Korean

Default M1 helmet camo

I took a chance on eBay and bought the following helmet. I helmet does come with a 14 Day return policy it was listed as a original ww2 helmet which I knew was wrong I think it maybe Korean War time frame but I have been wrong before( my thread on the burlap helmet). The camo looks to be applied with a marker not paint, marker were around at that time. The helmet had two owners either two vets or a vet and a kid. The camo was applied over chip marks which is a flag but not always. I will shut up for the moment and wait for opinions. Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet camo   M1 helmet camo  

M1 helmet camo   M1 helmet camo  

M1 helmet camo  
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 06-06-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet camo   M1 helmet camo  

I was finally able to read the heat stamp it is m-108a which I think was McCord 1951-58. Correct me if needed. Marty

Any thoughts? A lot of views but no opinions good or bad.

Well if no thoughts on the camo, what about a time frame on the helmet.
    Marty

?

Well Marty,
    if the Rank on the back is supposed to be Marine Corps the crossed rifle's did not come into play until the 1960's. So the helmet may have been made prior to that and re issued, But Like I said the rank was added after the 60's.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, thank you for the info that is a start. In hand there is a lot of wear to the helmet but I agree the chevrons do not look right to me also. If the camo is not GI applied someone took some time to do it. Marty

?

Just one more thing to consider is that most Jarheads had camo covers on the helmets during that time. I'm by far an expert on these. So wait and see what the big Experts say before taking any action. I agree it is a very detailed camo job. But when was it applied??
    Marty I just want to add that the Marine Corps had advisers in Vietnam since 1954 and those Gents wore what they wanted. Tiger stripes and local made camo that was not standard issue. So please wait and see what the other gents have to say. I don't want you to send back something that might be quite unique
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, that is really good advice and info. If it were to be close to anything you said that would be interesting. Opinions about the t1 chinstrap are all over the place... It was used in The Korean War, It was not used in the Korean War..etc. The heat stamp tell me a time frame of production 51-58, the chinstrap has a lot of wear( paint lose). I do know the green metal clips were still in production until around 1960 so yes the helmet could be Vietnam era. Back to the T1 clip it has uc3(united carr) stamped on it when were those clips made 1944-? ? That may give a clue to time in service. I know some of the Big dogs in m1 helmet collecting have viewed the thread but have not responded Maybe due lack of internet or time to comment I don't know.
    Phil you are right until more thought come in I do not need at the moment to send it back.
    Marty

Phil had some good thought too possible insight is there any others?