Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 Helmet date?

Article about: by Nitram Interesting; sorry to derail the topic but I've just measured a US M1 I own, a Dutch M53 and a Belgian M51; here's the results: US M1: 18 1/4 Inches Belgiam M51: 18 1/4 Inches Dutc

Default Re: M1 Helmet date?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Interesting; sorry to derail the topic but I've just measured a US M1 I own, a Dutch M53 and a Belgian M51; here's the results:
    US M1: 18 1/4 Inches
    Belgiam M51: 18 1/4 Inches
    Dutch M53: 18 1/2 Inches

Thought it might be interesting to know. I suppose that places my M1 at pre-Nam'.

Nitram
    not necessarily, the low dome shell only applies to US manufactured shells, other countries might have still made them 18" or taller, so it could be later than Nam era if it's not US

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    not necessarily, the low dome shell only applies to US manufactured shells, other countries might have still made them 18" or taller, so it could be later than Nam era if it's not US
    I meant the US M1, the Dutch one is dated 1955.

Nitram

?

Thanks for all the replies! Just measured it with a metal tape measure which doesnt follow the helmet contours very well so not that accurate a measurement, but it definitely measures under 18 inches. So that fits with it being 1960's-70's. This is the camo cover that was on the helmet, also same time frame?

M1 Helmet date?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    How odd. I always assumed anything post war with a stainless steel rim was a clone. Learn something new every day on this forum!

Nitram
    Can't be a clone if it has a punched in heat stamp.

?

Quote by rt77 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Just measured it with a metal tape measure which doesnt follow the helmet contours very well so not that accurate a measurement, but it definitely measures under 18 inches. So that fits with it being 1960's-70's. This is the camo cover that was on the helmet, also same time frame?

M1 Helmet date?
    Yes, thats one of the last cammo covers for the M1, roughly the same time scale to the mid 1980's.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2