Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet - Fixed Bale, Front Seam

Article about: I'm considering this helmet, and have asked for some better photos of the shell in natural light, and of the outer side of the liner shell. But, I thought I might have enough here to see if

Default M1 Helmet - Fixed Bale, Front Seam

I'm considering this helmet, and have asked for some better photos of the shell in natural light, and of the outer side of the liner shell. But, I thought I might have enough here to see if anything stands out as being wrong with this one. Some things that concern me are the color of the shell, and the density of the cork. The shell may just look too yellow/green because of poor lighting, but that's some chunky looking cork, which I don't know if one would expect that on an early shell like this or not. Otherwise, the liner looks great, matches the straps on the shell well. The straps on the bales have what I think is supposed to be a raised bar brass buckle that is typical on early shells, but I'm not sure if that's not reproduction since it doesn't look very brassy. We're into territory beyond my level of knowledge on those details, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help clear the air on these things.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm no expert but gut feeling is just walk away,there's absolutely no genuine wear or age to this shell,the liners perfectly ok,the issues are all with the shell,repaint/recorked,fake and aged leather chinstrap,and webbed chinstraps are repro too,and shell looks to have been sprayed not brush painted,waste of money for anyone to want this in there collection regardless of the price................

I agree with jake. wait for something better.
    rod

Depends what you want and where you are shopping, Aldi or Harrods, if you dont mind someone elses handy work with the shell and it suits your budget then why not, if not there are many genuine shells out there at a price but none will look like this one, expect dings loss of paint stress cracks and rust spots,, its down to your preference bud.

Thanks guys. This confirms my gut suspicions. I guess I should happy I've learned enough to be able to know when something's not right.

I'm looking for an all original WW2 helmet. So, other people's messing with it isn't going to work for what I'm looking for. The hunt continues!