Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet help please.

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I need your help please identifying this M1 helmet I just received. It appears to be a repaint so I'm thinking Korean War, but I'm not sure. The heat stamp in the shell is h

Default M1 Helmet help please.

Hello Gentlemen,

I need your help please identifying this M1 helmet I just received. It appears to be a repaint so I'm thinking Korean War, but I'm not sure. The heat stamp in the shell is hard to read, but appears to be 488B. The liner is a Westinghouse and appears to show D28? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! James
    M1 Helmet help please.M1 Helmet help please.M1 Helmet help please.M1 Helmet help please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet help please.   M1 Helmet help please.  

M1 Helmet help please.  
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 Helmet help please.  M1 Helmet help please. 

I have other photos and can upload higher resolution examples if requested. Here's an additional shot of the inside seam with an ink stamp.

Thanks again!
    M1 Helmet help please.

?

From what I can see -

WWII FS/SB, heat stamp number would be right for late '43. Likely reissued KW or early VN, similar for the liner. Can't see the webbing material, liner maker stamp? The ink stamp is likely a laundry number, with different one on the liner sweatband.

Air Force Senior Airman insignia on front?

Thank you Sir! Actually after further looking, it sure could be Air Force? Silly question, but did Airmen use these M1's in Korea?
    Last edited by mansioneer; 06-30-2020 at 03:28 PM.

The photos weren't good when I purchased this on Ebay so I took a risk since it appeared to be a low price. It was advertised as WW2, but is apparently KW. There is a two week return policy so even though I was hoping for a WW2 helmet, if this is a KW example, I'll probably hold onto it or move it. That's why I've been looking for opinions. Thanks!

?

I believe that airmen did have helmets but only for ceremonial purposes. For instance I have a helmet named a crewman in a bomber squadron during ww2.

Edit: Actually some crewmen wore flak helmets, but I don’t believe any wore standard m1’s in flight.

I just took a better look and found a Micarta 1953 sticker in the liner dome.

One more question please, any thoughts on the ballpark value of this set if I decide to move it?