Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet info

Article about: Hey folks! Picked up my first M1 Helmet at a local swap meet for \\$20 thinking it was maybe a vietnam era shell. After I arrived home I decided to do some research and came across some info s

Default M1 Helmet info

Hey folks!
    Picked up my first M1 Helmet at a local swap meet for $20 thinking it was maybe a vietnam era shell. After I arrived home I decided to do some research and came across some info stating that all M1's marked from 0-300 are WWII era shells.
    This one is marked 1248B which would make it a late war rear seam shell, correct? Its got the swivel bales and one chinstrap. Any idea if the chinstrap is original? I'd like to find a liner for it. Is there way to determine what size the shell is from the stamp markings? Any additional info on this helmet would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Looks like a nice late WWII (1945) made rear seam M1. The chin strap (Color OD7) attached is also the last type that used during the War, and it is a one look original, if you see white fabric that is a good sign, also there must be 11 rows of "ハハハ" stitching.

For $20.00, I won't complain at all, this helmet worth to be restored and a liner to put in.

Cheers!
    Taka

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Hi,

Looks like a nice late WWII (1945) made rear seam M1. The chin strap (Color OD7) attached is also the last type that used during the War, and it is a one look original, if you see white fabric that is a good sign, also there must be 11 rows of "ハハハ" stitching.

For $20.00, I won't complain at all, this helmet worth to be restored and a liner to put in.

Cheers!
    Taka
    Thanks for the info!
    I'm gonna try to put this old shell back together with original parts if I can. I've been wanting a WWII M1 for a while now, and as you can imagine I was really thrilled to find out this was a WWII era shell.

A bargain at that price.besides what Taka has already quoted,its a McCord shell made in 45 with the later od7 shade webbing chinstrap with correct late war steel painted black buckle,and looks in great condition well done on a top notch purchase..........

nice find, the shells were only made in one size , the liners are also one size, you make adjustments for better fit

since WWII era shells were used all the way through Korea, Vietnam and later

you could mix and match the parts to make any version you prefer

Thanks guys

Agree with SHINDENKAI WW2 late war pot with original OD7 (Later color) chinstrap as seen mid 43 on. Definetly worth a liner to complete it good deal on it too nice find! timothy