Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet liner.

Article about: June 1944, very interesting. I bought this liner from Scotland. It makes you think, how did it end up there and how did it become sperated from its shell? Presumably it was involved in ETO.

Default M1 helmet liner.

Hi guys,

just took delivery of this M1 helmet liner made by Firestone. Apart from some old flecks of emulsion spattered over the outside it's in pretty good shape really.From what I've learned here I'm pretty certain it's of WW2 period. Tan webbing, front gromit hole etc.

M1 helmet liner.M1 helmet liner.M1 helmet liner.

It even appears to have the original owners initials printed on the web strap inside -'VF'. Unfortunately it's missing it's nape strap, sweat band and leather chin strap. How easy, or rather how expensive do these original items tend to cost to replace?

M1 helmet liner.M1 helmet liner.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a nice shell to go with it. I've had a salty old 44 USMC backpack since I was a kid that I always intended to build a full uniform around but I think that might be out of my price range really. I just love that Marine Corps camouflage. Out of interest, would this liner have gone in a Marine Corps shell?.

Alternatively I could buy a nice infantry shell and start bulding a full kit around that. When I was a lad you see, I used to go to this military shop to stare at all the things I could never afford. At the back of the shop the owner had a complete manequin attired in ww2 US infantry kit. All the tan stuff. Fantastic! Any views from you seasoned collectors would be greatly appreciated. I am a 40-something novice trying to kick-start the passions of my youth!!

M1 helmet liner.

Lastly, does anyone know what fcuc stamped on the nape area buttons means and would anyone have an approximate date for this liner?

Many thanks guys,

Ian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet liner.  

?

Default Re: M1 helmet liner.

Lot's of good questions. The Marines did not have a separate steel pot to the infantry, they were all the same thing. The Marines had camo covers that were unique to them, but the pot was the same so you don't need to hunt a "Marine" steel shell.
    The sweatband and nape strap you will need to complete the liner are fairly easy and cheap to buy, but original early green buckle liner chinstraps are getting rarer, and expensive. A slightly later black buckle type will be easier to find and cheaper. Oh, and it seems it is a later WW2 liner, and very nice too!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Good looking liner......missing a few componets to make complete as Andy has already pointed out but once those have been obtained, you'll have yourself a real good looking liner and the hard part will be done....shells are easy. There is a guy on eBay that has a bunch of Unissed WWII period rear seam Schleuter shells with chin straps that would mate up with this real nice....

Nice late war liner as andy pointed out,segma snaps "UNITED CARR" primary maker as far as i know?regards minnie.

?

Also, the VF is a manufacturers stamp? Not sure though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Guys,

thank you so much for your replies which now have me thinking. Out of interest, what features make you all agree it's a later war liner? What period of the war did the webbing become green? or am I getting confused and all green webbing is post-war? Would a front-seam or a late-war rear-seam be right for this liner? When you say 'late-war' do you mean 43-44, 44-45?

MysonsDad, could you give me the link to the Schleuter shells you mentioned? That would be much appreciated mate, thanks.

NickD thanks mate for going to such trouble to add all the e-bay links. Again, much appreciated. I've checked them all out and saved them! I'll be in touch..

?

your liner dates from about June 1944 onwards as this is when the blacked brass fittings started to be used you can really add this to any WW2 shell IMO to make a good display piece

Quote by canti44 View Post
    MysonsDad, could you give me the link to the Schleuter shells you mentioned? That would be much appreciated mate, thanks...
    Canti, here is the link to one of his currently listed unissed Schlueter helmets, he has 3-4 currently listed and I'm sure he has many more. He's a reputable seller.

UNISSUED WW2 U.S. REAR SEAM SCHLUETER HELMET SHELL! 1 | eBay

As for dating the liner, it's the "A" washers that tell the tail, the blackened brass type were not introduced until mid 1944

It's easy to gut hung up on trying to match a helmet and liner, but I'm personally not so sure that it makes much differance as long as it is in the correct war ear, but I know many collectors will disagree. As far as I know shells and liners were issued seperatly so you could easly have a very early helmet, be in need of a liner and get one from supply. plus how many of these things simply got mixed and matched in the field.

Russ

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Canti, here is the link to one of his currently listed unissed Schlueter helmets, he has 3-4 currently listed and I'm sure he has many more. He's a reputable seller.

UNISSUED WW2 U.S. REAR SEAM SCHLUETER HELMET SHELL! 1 | eBay

As for dating the liner, it's the "A" washers that tell the tail, the blackened brass type were not introduced until mid 1944

It's easy to gut hung up on trying to match a helmet and liner, but I'm personally not so sure that it makes much differance as long as it is in the correct war ear, but I know many collectors will disagree. As far as I know shells and liners were issued seperatly so you could easly have a very early helmet, be in need of a liner and get one from supply. plus how many of these things simply got mixed and matched in the field.

Russ
    that is a very nice shell it would suite this liner perfectly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast