Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Helmet opinions please

Article about: Only markings on the shell are D36 with westinghouse logo. I think the liner is a replacement, and have no idea why its painted black. Any info is appreciated.

Default M1 Helmet opinions please

Only markings on the shell are D36 with westinghouse logo. I think the liner is a replacement, and have no idea why its painted black. Any info is appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet opinions please   M1 Helmet opinions please  

M1 Helmet opinions please   M1 Helmet opinions please  

Default Re: M1 Helmet opinions please

The shell looks fine, original paint and a front seam stainless steel rim with the usual and expected paint loss. The liner obviously was repainted, but otherwise looks to be period as well. It will display very well with the liner in the shell. Nice lid. Jim G.

Is it worth stripping the paint off, carefully that is.

I am not good at it so I never do it, but it may be worth it if the paint comes off easily, and even if you screw up, it would be hidden when the pieces are together. Jim G.

?

that's all a very nice set up i personally would leave the liner as is because when its in the shell you wont be able to see the black paint anyway but if you really want to strip it i would try paint stripper on a very small area don't leave for to long as soon as it starts to affect the newer paint wipe or wash off with a wet cloth & see if there is any original paint still under there this method dose work as Ive done it my self good luck

I have stripped it, the paint on it was like an ink....blue in color with heavy aroma. I was not able to save the green paint underneath, due to the ink like paint turning everything blue. The liner came out clean and beautiful. I hate touching original stuff, but in this case the fumes were almost toxic, it had to be done. In worst case scenario, I would have replaced the liner. Does stripping it lower the value, or does it matter with ww2 m1 helmet liners?

?

unfortunately yes it will affect the price collectors love to have their items as untouched as possible but by the sounds of it you did the right thing if the fumes were that bad

Yeah, the fumes were almost overpowering, it was like a super strong dye. I absolutely hate touching anything vintage, but I had to do it. I was thinking of buying a hawley liner, is that correct? Would it be worth changing the liner out? I picked up this helmet for 200 canadian dollars, was it a good deal?

I'm posting a m2 german helmet today, I'd like your advice on that as well. if you are into german helmets. Thanks again guys.

?

Quote by Acekevlar View Post
    Yeah, the fumes were almost overpowering, it was like a super strong dye. I absolutely hate touching anything vintage, but I had to do it. I was thinking of buying a hawley liner, is that correct? Would it be worth changing the liner out? I picked up this helmet for 200 canadian dollars, was it a good deal?
    hawley fiber liners can be very expensive to buy they normally go between $500-$600 depending on condition & version as there were three different variations of the webbing.

200 Canadian $ for your one is a little high but not to bad as is not easy to find a good condition fixed bail M-1 complete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast