Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M1 helmet question.

Article about: Well most Euro clones had steel hinges as far as im aware,so maybe south american or far east like indonesia,only a guess its hard to work out when there's nothing to compare it with,even on

Default Re: M1 helmet question.

M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question. It looks exactly like a McCord shell the early McCords have the dimples on the side, it has that classic curve and the dome speeks volumes, however you said its a rear seam? with the heat lot numbers inside rear not inside front brim?. It looks like a front seam? looks like the hinges are installed more back than usual. Im just wondering if the rim and hinges have been replaced?. This is a intriguing helmet. I ve attached some pics of one of my more minty M1's for comparison it retains 98% of original paint so its a nice example.

JBR
    ?

Germany and Holland, in particular, have used brass extensively in their M1-type helmets' fittings. I checked out my post-WW2 German examples: M60-Mod1A1, M62-Mod1A1 and M85-Mod1A1. The M60 was the only one to have brass loops. The rest are steel. My Dutch M53 has steel loops - but this doesn't mean brass was never used. However, moving to the rim number, the Dutch manufacturer Verblifa stamps are very similar to the one in question - except there's a 'V' in front of the 'B'. This may simply not be visible due to mis-stamping, paint or corrosion. Another point, perhaps rather subjective given the quality of the photos (I know it's really difficult to get good photos sometimes, so no criticism intended), is the form of the peak in profile that looks more Dutch than US to me.

This link may be useful:
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 53 :.

It's also a good idea to remember that European M1-types were exported by the manufacturers to each other's countries! So one country may have bought batches from 3 or 4 neighbours. The above linked site gives useful info on this by country. Best Regards,

?

I was thinking that about the V not being stamped visibally since it closely resembles their marking. I have heard of countries manufacturing for other countries also. So I guess it's safe to assume this is a Netherlands helmet. Well thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully I can finally put it to rest and have an idea where it's from. Again thanks for all the input to those involved, I really do appreciate.

I checked out that World war helmets site, This would explain a lot about your helmet, I learn something every day. As far as the peak I would have to say it looks to be the same as mine up top, I did notice the brim style does take on a more angular look? could be just me. I would search around for that 'V' just make sure.

?

Sure Major, and by the way, that's a really nice lid you got there. I was also checking older forums on this site and a member named Nitran posted his helmet on 07-28-2012. That is pretty darn close to the one I have. Even where the numbers/letters are stamped under the seam in front and it has brass bales. Now I got to look out for a Verblifa liner to go with my shell. LOL.

Quote by denfly View Post
    Sure Major, and by the way, that's a really nice lid you got there. I was also checking older forums on this site and a member named Nitran posted his helmet on 07-28-2012. That is pretty darn close to the one I have. Even where the numbers/letters are stamped under the seam in front and it has brass bales. Now I got to look out for a Verblifa liner to go with my shell. LOL.
    Well the mystery has been solved and you are welcome Sir, That helmet up top is my only minty one, found that 5 years ago at a antique shop for 10 bucks, ripped my shorts getting to my wallet.

?

denfly
    I found this .it has brass bales just like yours .you could have a cool movie prop, Helmet Used in Saving Private Ryan Goggle it and take a look

?

Pretty interesting. But who knows. I have no paper trail for this helmet. I did some more research and found a website dedicated to Verblifa helmets at dutchhelmets.nl. Nice pics and great info on these. The one I have dates to 1956. And of course some do have the brass bales which makes it more interesting. Boy I sure do learn alot with this forum and glad to be a part of it. Thanks for the help.

?

Great News denfly . I had no idea about those helmets. I though we sold them our surplus, Learn something new every day . I'm glad its not a fake
    Bob

?

I heard they are a bit common but there is a market for them. After comming home from work, I used steel wool to brush over the numbers again and it indeed says VB455B3, the VB practically interlocked. It looks like a scar at first on the metal rim but now it can be identified as a 1955 issue. So both JBR and Major Tom was right about the V.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast