Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 helmet Question

Article about: Hi to all, I have a question about M1 helmet. What differences between European M1 Helmet and USA M1 helmet? Or its is indentical copy? Tnx for answers!

Default Re: M1 helmet Question

Hi Ronnie, this will help ilustrate what Dave says:

Home of the M-1 Helmet

I always wanted a first type fibre liner: I never did get one.

Cheers, Ade.

Cheer's Dave and Ade thank's for the info and the link it's always had me wondering what it is thank's again Ronnie

?

The liner was made from a plastic and cotton fabric composite material called vinyl-lite , a form of Tuffnoll fibre, is was developed by the Riddel football helmet people, and legend has it that the first one was made on a cooking stove by simply warm up a sheet of the above material in boiling water and then molding it inside the M1 shell. Its a similar type of plastic impregnated cloth material to that used for M8, M8A1 knife scabbards. The plastic liners come in two forms Low pressure and high pressure moldings, the high pressure models being the latter type. Plus there was a paper fibre liner (similar to paper-mache) which was the early production version this is known as the Hawley liner and has a Olive Drab stockinet type fabric covering over the outer surface.

Nige.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ronnie, this will help ilustrate what Dave says:

Home of the M-1 Helmet

I always wanted a first type fibre liner: I never did get one.

Cheers, Ade.
    your not the only one Ade thats one of my must have items & i nearly got one in near mint condition but just missed out but im always on the look out ya never know

?

I have two swivel bail M1 s one is front seam with the stamp mark 843D in the front the liner is the hard type fibre glass with tan straps black A washers and original leather chin strap.The liner has some very small markings in the dome, 13D and below that a small circle with a w above a rounded oblong inside the circle.This helmet has a smooth dark green paint finish. The second one is swivel bail rear seam marked 522 above the left swivel bail ,no chin strap dark green rough paint, the liner has dark green webbing crossing through each other unreadable very small marking in the dome , fixed chin strap and made out of fibre glass with a cloth material woven in, there are markings on the rear webbing band HEADBAND LINER HELMET DSA 1OO-74-C-0116 8470-153-6671 STEINBERG and the rest is unreadable . Can anyone help re age ,type,and country of origin, thanking you in advance, cheers.

?

re last thread sorry forgot to mention that a small booklet came with the second helmet its entitled ITS YOUR HEAD - KEEP IT instructions for using helmet liner (infantrymans)

Hi Thunderbolt,

I got a couple of Austrian M1's if you're interested!!!!

tony touch
    ?

hi, my name is Guillermo, i am from spian

are you looking for an M1?, i have one

the serial number is 1230 E, you can read it perfectly in the pictures that i can send you...and it is compltelly the same that the pictures of helmets on this web site.

my helmet is the same than the pictures from 1941 to 1945.

http://www.helmy.w8w.pl/amerykanski%20wz.M1.htm

if you are interesting you can write to my adress; and i can send you the original pictures of my helmet.

thanks

guiyermis@hotmail.com

Moomin
    ?

Hi folks, I recently purchsed an M1 helmet that I believe to be Austrian (despite the seller advertising it as WW2 American), it's really cool and I did some brief research prior with comparisons drawn up that have brought me to my current conclusion (I can't afford an American WW2 M1 so I decided I was happy with a reasonable comparrison). It's definately a European M1 variant... just like in the pictures at the start of this link, the lining though is leather, similar to some WW2 helmets I own (which is my real passion) as opposed to the standard spider web like lining I came across in my research, I'm a newbie to collecting helmets, it's an awesome hobby, any info or advice would be much appreciated that would help in understanding what I'm looking at.... Yours, Chris

fritzr
    ?

Of what gauge or alternately how many hundredths of an inch steel was the US M1 helmet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast