Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Helmet refurb

Article about: Hi, I mixed Javis Countryside scenic products scatter No 30 sand (Available on Ebay) with Humbrol enamel matt 155 until it was a thickish paste. I then stippled it on starting from the crown

?

Default M1 Helmet refurb

HI
    This is my first attempt at restoring a post war helmet to use for reinactment. Didnt want to use an original and deface its history. I would like to know what people think of my efforts and welcome any constructive criticisms or anything I could have done differently. I have mildly aged the helmet as I feel the helmet would have been relatively new for the 1944 period I'm reinacting so didnt want to go too far with it. I have included some pictures of the refurb stages. All the helmet was hand painted and I made my own stencils.

Phil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet refurb   M1 Helmet refurb  

M1 Helmet refurb   M1 Helmet refurb  

?

Default Re: M1 Helmet refurb

Very nice job! Especially the corking, so often I see these refurbs plastered in cork. It bugs me.
    Well done.

Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Thanks Andy. The MP letters were slightly pissed which bugged me everytim I looked at it. I re did them last night and will post new picture when I get home from weekend away. Thanks for your comments. really enjoyed doing it so might try and do another project soon.
    Regards Phil

?

MP letters redone
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet refurb   M1 Helmet refurb  

M1 Helmet refurb  

Quote by 9cole9 View Post
    MP letters redone
    very nicely painted didn't you fancy the salty been there look as a new looking lid?still a good job especially the yellow band that must of been quite difficult,cheers dave.

?

To be honest, I didn't notice the MP thing until you mentioned it. It must be like when you put up one wonky piece of wallpaper.......YOU know it's there!

Nice Job!

All the best,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

You did a nice job. Congrats.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    very nicely painted didn't you fancy the salty been there look as a new looking lid?still a good job especially the yellow band that must of been quite difficult,cheers dave.
    Thanks Dave. I did think of going a bit further with the ageing but Im going to Normandy again this year and felt realistically it wouldnt of seen much action if thay had only landed a few days prior perhaps. Im sure it will get a bit more natural ageing when Im there for 10 days. Painting was tricky but I enjoyed doing it.
    Cheers Phil

How did you do the corking? I have refurbed some M1's myself and that's the hardest part to get right, in my opinion.

?

Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast