Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 Helmet refurb

Article about: Hi, I mixed Javis Countryside scenic products scatter No 30 sand (Available on Ebay) with Humbrol enamel matt 155 until it was a thickish paste. I then stippled it on starting from the crown

?

Default Re: M1 Helmet refurb

Hi, I mixed Javis Countryside scenic products scatter No 30 sand (Available on Ebay) with Humbrol enamel matt 155 until it was a thickish paste. I then stippled it on starting from the crown working down. After it was dry I rubbed off the loose bits with my hands and then added another four coats of 155 on its own. This smooths it out. Check out link 90th IDPG M1 Helmet Restoration
    Phil

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    How did you do the corking? I have refurbed some M1's myself and that's the hardest part to get right, in my opinion.
    Hi, I mixed Javis Countryside scenic products scatter No 30 sand (Available on Ebay) with Humbrol enamel matt 155 until it was a thickish paste. I then stippled it on starting from the crown working down. After it was dry I rubbed off the loose bits with my hands and then added another four coats of 155 on its own. This smooths it out. Check out link 90th IDPG M1 Helmet Restoration
    Phil

Thanks, I will have to try that. I always end up putting too much of a texture on it.

I normally dont like the refurbished helmets but you did a hell of a job! Good looks! - Nick K

?

Thanks Nick.

excellent restoration, it came our perfect! thats going to make an excellent helmet to use for a WWII reenactment

I see nothing wrong with it, M1 shells are nothing rare, so no harm done , european clones could even be used

very similiar to Hollywood props that they use in movies

what type of paint was used to make the stencils? was it sprayed on with a stencil? or brushed on with stencils, can you use the model paints sold in hobby stores?

?

Hi,Thanks for your comments. All the paints were Humbrol enamel and can be obtained in any good model shop. Revel and Tamiya also do them. The Green for the helmet was Humbrol matt 155. The red was Revell matt 36 and the blue was Humbrol matt 26. The blue I toned down with a touch of matt black. The stencils were made from badge printed off the computer. First I cut out from the paper and then transferred to card (cut up Birthday card) I used a scapel and ruler. I then drew round stencil with pencil onto helmet and then hand painted. The "Airborne" was cut out and then stiple brushed through the stencil to leave a light mark on the helmet and then I hand pianted it to tidy it up. Edges can be cleaned up by using the background colour.
    Hope that helps
    Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2