Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 Helmet Stamp identification

Article about: Hi I have 2 M1 Helmets shells here. 1x Stamp 700 1x Stamp 1269A Can anyone Identified these Helmets? thx Hacek

Default Re: M1 Helmet Stamp identification

Quote by Hacek View Post
    Hi I have 2 M1 Helmets shells here.

1x Stamp 700
    1x Stamp 1269A

Can anyone Identified these Helmets?

thx

Hacek
    According to the chart in the Helmets of the ETO book , the stamp 700 would be approx. Nov. 1943...the stamp 1269A would be May or June of 1945, that is, if they are McCords.

I don't really believe the chart is accurate but it gives you a ballpark date.

?

Quote by mk1rceme View Post
    According to the chart in the Helmets of the ETO book , the stamp 700 would be approx. Nov. 1943...the stamp 1269A would be May or June of 1945, that is, if they are McCords.

I don't really believe the chart is accurate but it gives you a ballpark date.
    I concur 100% on it being a ballpark figure. There have been a few helmets that just haven't fit the chart completely. The best a person can hope for is that it may give a close approximation. However, this chart is also better than what we had before which was: Nothing. The perfect example of the imperfection of the chart is that the original poster, Hacek has stated that both his helmets are rear seam yet the heat stamp of 700, would suggest a 1943 date of manufacture which would not have fallen into the rear seam category.

oops! Missed that. It would probably be a rear seam.

I just picked up a Red painted M1 fire control helmet with R3 written in front. I believe it is a Navy helmet. any ideas or thoughts what my new aquisition might be?

thanks,

-RAD

zimking
    ?

I got a helmet with U-SCH-85/6 stamped in yellow lettering. any suggestions?

?

that means its a foreign made euro clone helmet in the style of the US M-1 helmet.

RAD .... The Red M1 with the R3 is, as you stated, most likely a US Navy issue. The R3 likely stood for Repair Locker 3, ships had many repair lockers on them, that's where the fire fighting and battle damage repair gear is stored. I was in the US Navy in the 80's and we marked all the Repair Locker equipment, so that it was easy to identify where it belong, when we were all done playing our fire fighting drills. From what I have gathered, reading various formum posts and looking at examples of Navy lids, there is no rhyme nor reason as to how one might be painted, it was basically up to the ships command.

Russ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2