MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M1 helmet with unknown emblems

Article about: Hey guys, came across this nice helmet that has these strange emblems on the front, anyone know what they are? Here is a link United States Army Military Welfare RED Cross Officers M1 Steel

Default Re: M1 helmet with unknown emblems

Quote by gel65 View Post
    The one I know of has provenance the man was KIA and is excellent condition for 450 I believe from a seller I know these helmets are rare. I would agree to helmet is worth some money just not what the seller is asking and by the looks of the auction I think this helmet is going to go for much more
    Brilliant, I do want to say I started collecting when I was 11 and Im 42 now and by the time you reach my age these helmets are going to be very Rare and expensive even if there in so-so condition, if you have the means now, invest and take the opportunity, 90% of my helmet collection are directly from the Vets including my own kevlars I was issued and the provenance is concrete on all of them pictures and information. The one you are referring about is a good one to have in any collection givin you have the full name and a picture with there military designation and branch which just shows respect when displaying. That's how I collect anyway. You sound like a level headed young man its good talking shop with you.

Sorry guys IMHO I would not pay over $400 USD for this rig.
    I would really buy it only for the value of the Hawley.
    The helmet would have been nice but it was ruined when someone glued those badges on the front of it.
    I do not think the badges make it more collectible. In fact I believe they destroyed the value of the helmet.
    There is no way a soldier walked around with that junk on his helmet.
    Again, the Hawley is in decent shape worth $300-$350 USD (being how the market is down) and you could probably get $50 + USD if you removed the chinstraps from the pot and sold them separately.
    Frankly if I was the "lucky bidder" on this one I would try to remove the badges from the steel pot.

BTW, I believe that NOW is the time to buy up Hawleys.
    They are really low right now and I think they will go back up simply because they are more rare than other liners. That $350 Hawley I posted earlier from ebay was my pick up
    I also ended up getting one of the soldier's field manuals so that it is ID'd better.

and guess who just won the helmet.........

also this helmet is in ebay AUSTRALIA, and it is very good for me as i don't have to pay 50-80 just for postage, and there isn't much competition so 350 +20 for this helmet is by far the best bargain i can get.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Sorry guys IMHO I would not pay over $400 USD for this rig.
    I would really buy it only for the value of the Hawley.
    The helmet would have been nice but it was ruined when someone glued those badges on the front of it.
    I do not think the badges make it more collectible. In fact I believe they destroyed the value of the helmet.
    There is no way a soldier walked around with that junk on his helmet.
    Again, the Hawley is in decent shape worth $300-$350 USD (being how the market is down) and you could probably get $50 + USD if you removed the chinstraps from the pot and sold them separately.
    Frankly if I was the "lucky bidder" on this one I would try to remove the badges from the steel pot.

BTW, I believe that NOW is the time to buy up Hawleys.
    They are really low right now and I think they will go back up simply because they are more rare than other liners. That $350 Hawley I posted earlier from ebay was my pick up
    I also ended up getting one of the soldier's field manuals so that it is ID'd better.
    Understood anton67, the badges are not glued on they look riveted or something, my other rebuttle is how do you know if the Vet did not apply those badges on? I have seen many helmets altered by Vets postwar for VFW events and even in my VFW lodge and whatever, my neighbor when I was a kid was a WWI vet and he pinned and riveted buttons medals all kinds of things on his old M1917 his granddaughter has it now, Ive seen 2 examples of WWII vets riveted collar devices on there helmets. The issue your making and I agree is (I don't know the provenance) to me its a interesting set anyway and if somebody likes it he or she well pay. You have to agree on that.

Quote by carlarganda View Post
    Sweet. im currently bidding on it. soon as i saw the haeley liner i bid straight away.
    Did you win this auction? 317.00 isn't to shabby.

350 for me im australian.

Quote by carlarganda View Post
    350 for me im australian.
    I keep forgetting about the exchange, congratulations on your helmet.

To carlarganda - Congrats - you did well. Like I said, the Hawley alone is worth that price. Now you just need to find a nice FB to put it in.
    To Major Tom - I am sorry but I disagree with you. I don't care who altered the helmet. Even if it was the vet himself, IMHO he ruined it. It is just like the vet that brings home a German K98 and then cuts down the stock for hunting purposes. It no longer has collector value because it is not in original condition.
    I was hoping that those badges were glued on so the buyer could take them off and sell the helmet to get back some of his money.
    That is just how I look at it. I understand that others may look at it differently. Hey, if you like helmets that have been tinkered, with more power to you. Again, to me just because the vet did it, doesn't make me want to buy it. I prefer items in original condition.
    BTW, the example of the WWI vet's helmet is a little different (the one that the soldier's granddaughter now owns), because that helmet has sentimental value to her (being that it belonged to her grandfather).
    I personally, however would not buy it from her based on my above argument. To me he ruined the collector value.
    Collector value VS sentimental value are completely different.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    To carlarganda - Congrats - you did well. Like I said, the Hawley alone is worth that price. Now you just need to find a nice FB to put it in.
    To Major Tom - I am sorry but I disagree with you. I don't care who altered the helmet. Even if it was the vet himself, IMHO he ruined it. It is just like the vet that brings home a German K98 and then cuts down the stock for hunting purposes. It no longer has collector value because it is not in original condition.
    I was hoping that those badges were glued on so the buyer could take them off and sell the helmet to get back some of his money.
    That is just how I look at it. I understand that others may look at it differently. Hey, if you like helmets that have been tinkered, with more power to you. Again, to me just because the vet did it, doesn't make me want to buy it. I prefer items in original condition.
    BTW, the example of the WWI vet's helmet is a little different (the one that the soldier's granddaughter now owns), because that helmet has sentimental value to her (being that it belonged to her grandfather).
    I personally, however would not buy it from her based on my above argument. To me he ruined the collector value.
    Collector value VS sentimental value are completely different.
    Your opinion is duely noted, That is the difference between me and you I like sentimental with a story and I do like original condition too, it doesn't matter to me. My collection has a lot of different helmets with different pasts and like I said, if somebody wants a collectible enough they will pay big money for it. collector value or not. You have a way to collect and I have a different way to collect, not an issue, take care friend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast