Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

Article about: I'm really a M1 novice, not knowing much about them. I've had this helmet for 20 years, it may be ex-NZ Army but I'm not sure. The only marks I can see in the shell, is a stamped mark faintl

Default M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

I'm really a M1 novice, not knowing much about them. I've had this helmet for 20 years, it may be ex-NZ Army but I'm not sure.

The only marks I can see in the shell, is a stamped mark faintly looking like "MWA10" inside front visor. Originally painted OD colour it appears to have a textured external jungle green repaint. Helmet cover made in 1981.

The inner helmet is marked "US 19".

Can anyone comment on period of manufacture and by who? Or other comments? Thanks.

M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

Can't really help Mate but I have a MWA shell somewhere too but the chin strap is not the same. I'd have to say this could be very late US made going by the PASGT type chin strap as used on late US M1 helmets.

Ahh I found a couple of pictures of mine! it is missing the longer strap!

Thanks Rene, that's the same maker, but different number...whatever that means.

That would mean the lot/batch production number

I was having a look at another forum and reading comments about MWA marked helmets. There doesn't seem to be much information, other than it was suggested they were made in late 1950's, someone reckoned they come from the 1958 McCord production run. Is that possible?

This is where I can't help Mate, sorry.

MWA + Number is the heat stamp. MWA = Early-mid 1950s Motor Wheel Co. production, a Subcontractor of McCord.

The Liner is a Pattern 1964. Made from 1964 until 1972.

Chinstarap is used from mid 1970s until the end of the USM1 helmets.
    Helmet cover is out of 1981.

The helmet is a "Frankenstein", made of parts from from parts of different production times.

Change the cover and the chin strap, then you have a great helmet from the Vietnam time

the neckband is from 1966. The sweatband also has a stamp??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast