MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this an M1 helmet from WWII

Article about: Is this helmet from WWII. I found it at a garage sale and I am just wondering if it is original. Any info would be appreciated. Does anyone know what the decal stands for.

waystro
    ?

Default Re: Is this an M1 helmet from WWII

yeah ww2 i got one from vietnam

rrgeee
    ?

Thanks for all the info. I learned alot reading the other post on other helmets. I have one more to show if you can give me info on it. I am a little disappointed because it might not be from WWII. At least now I know what to look for. This one has a front seam and no # inside the helmet. It has a firestone liner and the web liner markings ends in 62. Does that mean it is from 1962?
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this an M1 helmet from WWII  Is this an M1 helmet from WWII  Is this an M1 helmet from WWII  Is this an M1 helmet from WWII  Is this an M1 helmet from WWII 

It looks as though the chin straps are replaced with repro,

There may be a date mark on the inside crown of the liner with or under the maker....

?

Quote by rrgeee View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I learned alot reading the other post on other helmets. I have one more to show if you can give me info on it. I am a little disappointed because it might not be from WWII. At least now I know what to look for. This one has a front seam and no # inside the helmet. It has a firestone liner and the web liner markings ends in 62. Does that mean it is from 1962?
    This pot is a late WWII front seam swivel loop(bale) helmet with a manganese rim instead of stainless steel. These manganese rimed helmets rolled off the assembly line in late 1944 to remedy the problem of paint flaking off the rim and exposing the light reflecting quality of stainless... not exactly what a soldier would want as he tries to remain stealthy on a sunny day!

The chin straps are reproduction and have been hand sewn. These are not original to this helmet. The liner is a post WWII liner with olive drab #7 suspension. WWII would be found with a gray rayon or olive drab #3(khaki) suspension. The "62" mark is not a date stamp it's a production marking unassociated with the date. Liners were not dated in WWII. However, in the 1950's there was a date stamp printed on a small square of paper and laminated into the side of the liner along with the manufacturers name.

In the end, you have a nicely painted and corked original WWII helmet with repro straps and post war liner. I'd dump the chin straps if it were mine and find a nice WWII liner for it.

?

One other thing to mention here: If your just getting into helmet collecting, you'll need to educate yourself before spending all your hard earned money on things you wish you wouldn't have bought. This link will take you to a Helmet books reference section that I put together some time back. I highly recommend spending the money on one or two of these. The money spent will save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on less than desirable helmets. Helmet reference books link: Helmet Reference Book Guide - U.S. Militaria Forum

?

some very sound advice there scott for all collectors old & new

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2