Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 help

Article about: I got this shell and liner at an auction and would like to know more details of what I have. After going over the forum M1 ID stickies, I believe the liner to be WW2 era. It has the front ey

?

Default M1 help

I got this shell and liner at an auction and would like to know more details of what I have. After going over the forum M1 ID stickies, I believe the liner to be WW2 era. It has the front eyelet and the string tie for the webbing. The rivet on the liner chinstrap says "United Carr" on it. The back strap says "AM. Stay Co.", "5", and "W 199QM 39942". I could not find the mfg stamp in the liner. The shell is swivel bale (broken off for some reason) and rear-seamed. The texture of the paint is very fine-grained. I could not see the heat stamp under the brim because the paint was too thick. I guess I have a late WW2 produced liner and shell probably used in Korea? I would be grateful for any more info. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 help   M1 help  

M1 help   M1 help  

M1 help   M1 help  

well im no expert on these pablo but the liner looks period ,im more concerned about the crude nature of the rim crimping on the shell for some reason

?

Quote by James C View Post
    well im no expert on these pablo but the liner looks period ,im more concerned about the crude nature of the rim crimping on the shell for some reason
    Thanks James. I wondered about that too.....along with the broken-off bales.

Liner is WW2. Shell could be, paint does not look right for WW2 as you said overpaint. Common to find bales ripped off, seen plenty.

Does the helmet have traces of red paint? If so it is most likely Vietnam era.

Keep the Liner throw the shell,it doesn't look US made,more likely Belgium,the Liner is a nice late ww2 version complete with leather chinstrap,can't really add much more..................

thanks jake for confirming my doubts about the shell i couldnt quite put my finger on it and something just didnt add up ,ive just never seen such sloppy workmanship on us in origin m1's

There's always a slim chance even I may be wrong but I doubt it very much,I've never seen that much crimping on any US shells,and I know the Bales on these types of shell are more proned to coming off.

?

Thanks for the replies. Am really curious now. How can one tell if its Belgian or US? Maybe the band just fell off and someone crimped it back on. There are no other traces of paint.

Like i said i maybe wrong on this one,if you can see a heatstamp then that would be great.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast