Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 liner, contraindications?

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I'm a new member here and so far pretty impressed. I have been a militaria collector for some 40 years but only now have I turned my attention to the venerable M1 helme

Default M1 liner, contraindications?

Good afternoon gents,

I'm a new member here and so far pretty impressed.

I have been a militaria collector for some 40 years but only now have I turned my attention to the venerable M1 helmet

I have an M1 liner that is causing me some puzzlement. It lives in a fixed bale front seam M1 that appears absolutely OK. However, looking at the liner although it appears WWII vintage and has the front eyelet (I know that is not sure indicator on its own) green 'A' washers etc attaching the suspension (but this is dark OD). It has an "Ozark" Division decal (a post war habit I know) and a grey stripe around the rim which suggests to me a Naval shore party perhaps. Also the maker mark in the crown looks like it might be one of the re-stamped items assembled post WWII.

When I got it it had a sweatband and nape strap that were I think Korean War vintage.

All these factors seem to me to be a combination of WWII (eyelet and green 'A' washers) and later indicators.

I don't doubt that the liner is authentic but I wonder about its service life. Any ideas?

Regards

Mark

M1 liner, contraindications?M1 liner, contraindications?M1 liner, contraindications?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nice Korean era Capac liner.............
    Last edited by ruddersrangers44; 12-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks Jake, I appreciate the feedback.

I got an email notification of a private message but I can't find it here for some reason?

It contained two questions;

1. Why did I think this was a WWII liner?
    A. I didn't really think more than it might be WWII initial manufacture finished during the KW supply period. This is because of the front eyelet (not a certain indicator as I said) and the green colour of the 'A' washers which I am led to believe are WWII vintage notwithstanding the dark OD of the webbing.

2. Why did I remove the sweatband and nape strap?
    A. This was only in order to take the pictures. They are very late WWII or KW vintage in excellent condition and I still have them.

The maker mark seemed to me that it might be be one of those "re-marked" CAPAC types.

The steel pot associated with the liner is a front seam fixed bale with cork finish and the patina of both appears equal. Hence my puzzlemant. Perhaps this might have been a National Guard item?

I like the helmet but wonder if this liner belongs in a certain KW pot and a certain WWII liner in the fixed bale pot?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The blue stripe is not navy related more likely for some sort of honor guard or branch designation possibly for infantry as I have seen this done for other artillery and cavalry liners

Quote by gel65 View Post
    The blue stripe is not navy related more likely for some sort of honor guard or branch designation possibly for infantry as I have seen this done for other artillery and cavalry liners
    Thanks for that, I was guessing really based on similar faeatures on WWII items but on the steel pot rather than the liner. However, it's definately not blue, rather more "battleship grey" if that makes any difference.

Regards

Mark

welcome to the forum Mark
    looks like its 1951/52 made liner I was not aware these had green "A" washers. Here is a link to makers marks and explanations saves me writing it.
    Top Pots - U.S. World War II Restored Airborne and Infantry Helmets
    a nice catch
    the fixed bale pot may have been paired with it at anytime.
    Regards
    Rod

Thanks Rod, I appreciate the comment.

I have seen the Top Pots site but didn't notice the relevant maker mark. It was mainly the green washers that made me wonder. I suppose they likely used old stocks of parts as would any manufacturer of similar items, even car makers do it!

Regards

Mark

No probs Mark
    I have looked a few of these they seem to have black or green "A" washers. green washer type seem to be rarer.
    they may have been using up a batch of mid war "A" washers that had been stored somewhere as you say.
    here is a link to another discussion about them. Minty KW liner with green A-washers - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    all the best
    Rod

Excellent Rod,

That's exactly like mine (but minty! ),

Looks like question answered!

I have tried to get onto that forum but it doesn't like my email or my (correct) answers to the security questions!!!
    I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Maybe WR is enough?

Thanks again.

Regards

Mark

I am a member there but I am not well known. If I remember correctly it was a bit of a hassle getting on there.
    I heard the same from an other collector he couldn't,t get on it either. shame really he was nice guy and loved his M1's.
    you can still do search's there without being a member.
    regards
    Rod