Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

Article about: I've had this lid for a number of years and pulled it out to do a bit more research. I've always classified it as a WWII USMC M1 front seam swivel bail. Shell appears to be a McCord and the

MAP
    ?

Default M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

I've had this lid for a number of years and pulled it out to do a bit more research.

I've always classified it as a WWII USMC M1 front seam swivel bail. Shell appears to be a McCord and the liner is an MSA (Mine Safety Appliance). The back nape webbing is stamped WH-009 QM-35320 USMC 1945. Early "raised bar" chin strap on the shell.

That said, I have two questions:

1) For the life of me I can not read the heat stamp. It looks like H18B but I don't see a "Line" between the two parts of the "H". Can someone help out? Date range as well?

2) Is this cover WW2 era? I've heard conflicting accounts that WW2 covers do not have the USMC logo on the front, but have also been told that the logo was added just before the end of the war. btw, it is the typical reversible style and has NO markings on it. The tan camo underside is well worn and stained and has been on this helmet for decades. It is IMHO not a recent addition. Given the 1945 date of the webbing it would seem possible that this cover is WW2 as well. Thoughts?

Sorry for the poor pictures. It's late....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Likely 1118B or possibly 1148B, which puts it at about the very end of 1944. Edge stitching inside and outside of cover will help date its manufacture. EGA's were typically added post war.

Looks like a very decent set.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Thanks John,

with the naked eye and under a microscope I do not see the top part of the # 1's (the one that I thought was an "H"), plus the two vertical lines are very close together. As far as the number that I think is a 1 (e.g. H18B), there are no marks to indicate it is a 4. But this is just my view from what I can see.

Thanks for the Thumbs up as well. I have 3 WW2 M1's. This is probably the least of them. The other is a mint fixed bale and the other is a Hawely.

Here is the stitching and some of the stains.

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover HelpM1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The stitching looks period.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    The stitching looks period.
    Awesome John. Thanks a lot. I bought this from a friend a few years back. He is usually spot on with everything he sells.

When I return, I got to try and get better picks of the heat stamp. It's really bugging me, but I'm sure that this whole set up has been together from the beginning and nice to know the the US MC logo is period.

Michael

?

A very nice Jarhead helmet Michael! Both seem to be in great/unused condition.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I agree - I think it is 1118B.
    Theses stamps were not perfect. Sometimes parts of the numbers/letters don't come out well.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    If it was an H prefix it would not be a WWII shell. I do not believe that is the case however.
    Also the paint on the shell (from your photos) looks WWII period (not post war).
    The cover looks OK from the photos you have provided.
    There is a debate as to whether EGAs were put on WWII era covers.
    The general consensus is NO.
    I would guess this is an early post war rig.
    Remember they were using WWII helmets and parts long after WWII.
    I have a rear seam M1C with sewn on chinstraps that was used during Vietnam.
    Your helmet could have been used during Korea if it is not a put together.
    Whether or not it is a put together would be really hard to tell without provenance or carefully studying stains on the cover and markings on the liner vs markings on the shell.

Michael thats a late war field repair depot Helmet,and thats most likely when the cover was added and re-issued to a Marine sometime in 45 ready for the push on the Japanese islands.

MAP
    ?

Hey guys...Thanks for the feedback...sitting in a 5 hour meeting right now so can't respond in detail...

Jake: why do you say it's a late war depot lid? Not questioning it, just wondering how to ID as such

Michael there are traces of paint on the inside edge of the Liner why?the Liner supports its original factory textured olive drab paint.A raised Brass Buckle on a swivel looped Helmet?maybe McCord used up existing stock?these Buckles ceased production in july 43 to save on brass,a black painted steel variant replaced it,swivel looped came after oct 43 and were fitted with this buckle,after june 44 which your shell is assuming the heatstamp is 1118B,then Brass resumed but only in the Flat type,thats all i can suggest Bud.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast