Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

Article about: I've had this lid for a number of years and pulled it out to do a bit more research. I've always classified it as a WWII USMC M1 front seam swivel bail. Shell appears to be a McCord and the

If EGAs were added post war as most collectors believe, the helmet and cover could have been issued post war as a left over.
    It is also possible that the soldier enlisted late WWII and stayed in the service past 1945 and added the stamp to the cover later.
    There is really no way to tell for sure.
    Also, how do you know for sure that this set was not put together (maybe the cover or liner were added later by a collector)?
    I am not saying that it is.
    I am just asking the question because from what I see there is no direct evidence that it was always a set.
    In fact there are rust stains on the cover but not on the steel pot (at least from the photos you have presented - there could be matching rust stains not shown in your photos).
    So it very well could be a complete late war set, used during WWII but the cover was added later.

Anton that is exactly what were discussing elsewhere,just because a set has been in a collection for 20 years that doesn't mean its been a set since the war,also talking about reproductions/restored/faked etc,many sets are indeed put togethers using original parts to complete,unless you were handed the Helmet straight from the vets hands then in most cases its almost impossible to be 100% certain.

MAP
    ?

Got it Jake. Makes sense. Still a nice lid. Too bad it didn't see action with this cover but all OK by me. All original. Not much different than a refurbed, repainted M35 german lid...LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Anton that is exactly what were discussing elsewhere,just because a set has been in a collection for 20 years that doesn't mean its been a set since the war,also talking about reproductions/restored/faked etc,many sets are indeed put togethers using original parts to complete,unless you were handed the Helmet straight from the vets hands then in most cases its almost impossible to be 100% certain.

ruddersrangers44
    I do not 100% agree with your statement.
    I have helmets that have ASN#s on both the helmet and liner.
    I also have a helmet that has a name stamped on both helmet and liner.
    I also have a helmet that has the 28th Insignia painted on the helmet and liner.
    I also have 3 USMC helmets and 6 AB helmets that are likely post WWII but have been together since brought home by the vet.
    I can tell this by looking at the set - there are certain signs which point to the fact that they have been together for a long, long time.
    I have attached photos of some examples.
    This helmet does not exhibit those signs.
    I am not saying anything negative about it.
    Just making an observation.
    In fact I have 3 USMC helmets. Each one has a different pattern WWII USMC cover. The helmets themselves are in the exact condition when I received them, however I added the USMC covers to each of the helmets.
    WWII USMC NON-Put-together helmets are extremely rare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help   M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help  

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help   M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help  

And your point is Anton?all your examples carry either unit markings or ASN's,Michael's set is a plain un-marked set with no way of knowing how long they have been together,pretty obvious if a set has matching numbers to both shell and Liner then it kind of makes it a bit easier to work out.

Maybe that is why they call me Captain Obvious!

You said, "many sets are indeed put togethers using original parts to complete,unless you were handed the Helmet straight from the vets hands then in most cases its almost impossible to be 100% certain."

I agree that many sets are put together.
    But my point is that you do not have to get the helmet strait from the vet to be 100% certain that the set has been together since the vets service, like in the cases of the helmets that I posted.
    Some of my helmets have matching ASNs but not all.
    In many cases you can tell that a helmet set has been together since the vet's service based upon other signs.

You also said that Michael's set is a plain un-marked set with no way of knowing how long they have been together.
    I agree with that statement.
    But the reason there is not way to tell if it was put together or not is not SOLEY because it is not marked.
    It does not seem to exhibit signs of a helmet that was together since the vets service.
    Maybe if the rust stains on the cover matched the rust stains on the steel pot and there were similar rust stains on the liner, that would be a good indication of a matched set.

I have sets that are not marked but I can tell that they are NOT put together sets.
    I have two post War USMC rigs that I can post photos of which were OBVIOUSLY not put together helmet sets and they are not marked.

You also said that, "all your examples carry either unit markings or ASN's."
    That is simply not the case.
    Take a look at the Vietnam helmets and the D-Loop that I posted.
    They are obviously not put together sets and they are not marked (The D-loop has an ASN in the liner only).

Nothing else to add really Anton,the floors all yours good luck and Goodbye.........................Apollo 13 signing off................

I guess I made my point.

Roger, over and out.
    Dont drink too much Tang

MAP
    ?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    I guess I made my point.

Roger, over and out.
    Dont drink too much Tang
    It's not about winning or proving a point, but a dialogue
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

So what is your point??
    I was trying to have a dialogue.
    Apparently some people were offended.
    Why, I do not know.
    I am not the one who left the conversation.
    And last time I checked, making a point was part of dialogue.
    Am I wrong about that??
    There really should be nothing wrong with a healthy debate.
    Usually both sides learn something.

All I was really trying to say is that you can many times tell whether a helmet is a put together set or a set that has been together for quite a long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast