Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Rim Material

Article about: I'm curious if anyone has or knows of a late war, rear seam M1 helmet that still retains a rim of stainless steel?? Thanks

Default M1 Rim Material

I'm curious if anyone has or knows of a late war, rear seam M1 helmet that still retains a rim of stainless steel??

Thanks

Hi plenty of threads here discussing this but to save time,here's the short version as stainless steel rims never retained there cork/paint which had been noticed from early production the decision was taken in late 44 to replace all rims with Manganese steel/the same as the shell,however as old stocks of SS rims were readily available,many variations finished on the production line,FS with MS rim/RS with SS rim etc.

Default M1 Rim Material

Thanks for the reply sir - The reason I ask was this veery interesting A/B M1 on Fleabay - It appears to have valid a/b straps (good stitching IMO) but the 82nd A/B decals were throwing me off. Possibly a late WW2 helmet that made it into Korea where the decals were then added? I know those are rarely seen on ww2 shells but it was kinda cool. Lot#1163C (made in early 1945)- McCord - Rear seam but still with StnStl rim. It got good action with 56 bids and sold for $275.
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 Rim Material  M1 Rim Material  M1 Rim Material  M1 Rim Material  M1 Rim Material 

Crap man i need to go to specsavers to see those images,however the final price reflects buying folks confidence,or should that be a serious lack of them,that said being one of Todd's ebay sales he only sells straight from the hip and i've never found any concerns with my purchases from him in the past.

yeh! funny to see the 82nd lid on here, i was actually one of the bidders, i bid for $270 and was outbid in the last 2 seconds. im still kicking myself because that was a great helmet

theres no use in starting a new thread, but i asked the seller if the transaction went through when this helmet sold, and sure enough just this week he said the seller returned the item because the liner didnt fit inside very well. i took this chance to pick it up so its anotger addition to my collection!

Well done to you Danny its a great set,got the pics from Todds ebay original sale?

yes i bid on that and didnt get it, i worked it out with him through email buy there are pictures on his website if you would like me to attach some

here are some pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Rim Material   M1 Rim Material  

M1 Rim Material   M1 Rim Material  

M1 Rim Material