Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

M1 Schuleter refurb

Article about: hi steve its looking real nice and to think how it first looked is an amazing transformation ,well done sir

?

If you are in need of a chinstrap still contact member Camp-X Dean I do believe he has a couple he is willing to part with if I remember correctly they have never been sewn on to a set of bails yet.

Regards Mark

Hi thanks will do, that would be great.

steve it is comming on really well ,my beat up relic m1 McCord was missing the bails/chinstrap i too added a nos strap and simply aged by immersion in a very strongly brewed cup of tea the liner was also a relic made by capac i left it as it was found with no internals apart from the odd washer
    Regards James

Cheers James, i have found some straps on SOF, £12 early fixed bale type , also seen a leather original strap for the liner, may go for that, regards the straps how did you get them stitched up, just stopped raining here so a little more painting and cork to do.

great stuff steve im glad your sorted ,as to the straps i just horizontally hand stiched them
    Regards James

Cheers, job for the wife

?

Hi Steve,look's great buddy. I would remove some of the paint from the rim to recreate a more used look, looking at the before and after shots it's hard to tell it's the same shell good job fella

Also look forward to seeing the complete restoration with liner,chinstraps etc

?

Hi Steve, It is looking top man! The repair you made is really well finished and it looks great with the cork applied and very well distributed over the shell as well. Opex has a point with the rim I would say the vast majority of war time M1's with any sort of use seen the paint wear of the rim. Can't wait to see further progress bud! Also regarding the chinstraps, This is just my opinion but thought I should say.. I have seen SOF M1 helmet parts in hand and they are really not very good. They will do the job don't get me wrong but not very good quality. If it were me I would consider ordering from the states. J Murray or At The Front. You may pay a bit more for international shipping but you should not get taxed on items that small so it shouldn't be too bad, But just my thoughts pal, Keep up the good work! Cheers, Sean.

Thanks guys, yes paint on the rim will be sorted out, top advice Sean i will look overseas, someone put me onto Camp-X Dean he has some but they are green, would these be later issue? all in all i am happy so far still much to do.
    Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.

?

Hi Steve, I think the green straps are later issue but not 100% sure. Jake aka Ruddersrangers should be able to help you out there. The helmet is coming along fantastically especially when you go back to the start of the thread to see how it looked when you received it man. A cracking buy to start with and a cracking restoration so far! Cheers, Sean.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast