Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Shell opinions

Article about: yes it maybe a little off the topic russ but im too keen to learn as i own 2 of these type shells and its that look about them that prompted be to buy them.very hard to put into words what i

Default M1 Shell opinions

Can anyone comment on these 2 shells?

1. Said to be a McCord 899D dated to about 5/44. Front seam, swivel bale, stainless rim

M1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinions

2. Schlueter 380A , front seam, stainless rim

M1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinionsM1 Shell opinions

Any and all comments/opinions will be greatly appreciated

?

Default Re: M1 Shell opinions

2x WW2 M-1 shells with post war repaints.

?

Quote by NickD View Post
    2x WW2 M-1 shells with post war repaints.
    The Schlueter seems to have been recorked?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

probably someones poor attempt at trying to refurb it !!

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    The Schlueter seems to have been recorked?

Best Regards,

Andy
    An horrible job in my opinion.
    Looks bad.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

The Schl has been post war re-corked and painted no doubt but I don't think it is an amature "garage" job even though it looks so shotty, just crappy depot refurb. It's missing texture on the sides from helmet stacking. I don't think someone doing garage refurbs is going to be stacking and tearing up his lids IMO.

Russ

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    The Schl has been post war re-corked and painted no doubt but I don't think it is an amature "garage" job even though it looks so shotty, just crappy depot refurb. It's missing texture on the sides from helmet stacking. I don't think someone doing garage refurbs is going to be stacking and tearing up his lids IMO.

Russ
    Good point!
    I wonder if it's out of National Guard storage?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks to all who responded. The seller of these shells evidently has a LOT of these as well as Korean and Viet Nam era stuff. The front seam shells do not all have this heavy corking finish. They come in all sorts of condition and evidently have bee stacked for some time.
    Attachment 385307Attachment 385308Attachment 385309

I probably will be better off waiting for a complete helmet and liner. Thanks again for the information

i partly agree with russ that many were field supply depot refurbs.however i dont believe cork would have been used as all main stream McCord production was applying sand aggregate.but that cork looks intense to say the least,how easy is it to spot a postwar repaint?was it the visor that gave away the schlueter?these stack marks as russ stated are most likely depot storage prior to being auctioned off due to phasing out in the late 70's early 80's with the arrival of the kevlar helmet,regards dave.
    Last edited by moaning minnie; 08-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    i partly agree with russ that many were field supply depot refurbs.however i dont believe cork would have been used as all main stream McCord production was applying sand aggregate.but that cork looks intense to say the least,

There are a couple of Ebay sellers that move a lot of these surplus helmets and it is quite common to see these odd textured helmets pass by every now and again which could lend one to believe that some of these helmets passed through some kind of intermediate depot repair/refurb centers that maybe used a different texturing process (looks more like stucco on homes here in the states in the 1970s) than that of the original application. Maybe a more modernized process that made it much simpler to texture than the mixing of the cork or sand to the paint.....and the result were these ugly texture jobs. Just a thought!

I guess this is all a little off topic but to learn the answers and reasons why would be very interesting.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast