Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell

Article about: Here I have another M1 helmet which spans WW2, the Korean War and the Vietnam war. The liner is a WW2 Westinghouse liner which has been reused over and over with multiple paint coats. The li

Default M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell

Here I have another M1 helmet which spans WW2, the Korean War and the Vietnam war. The liner is a WW2 Westinghouse liner which has been reused over and over with multiple paint coats. The liner has a 1957 dated head band and the nape is late 50s dated. The steel body is a Korean War era McCord manufactured helmet with the heat stamp of M 215 I think but very rusted where the liner has been in contact with the shell so hard to see properly. The helmet has also been repainted internally but on one side something has been deliberately covered as can be seen in the pics. It appears to be white paint underneath probably a name or soldiers serial number. These helmets were used over and over again so this is probably the reason. The Mitchell cover is a USMC cover but this one for some reason has 2 labels. I already own one of these USMC Mitchell covers and it only has one label. Answers on a post card if anyone knows why Thanks for looking guys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell   M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell  

M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell   M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell  

M1 USMC 59 dated Mitchell  

?

That cover is really cool. I've only seen a few that have double labels, and yours is in really great condition. Congrats on having an unusual piece.

Thanks I own 2 of these covers but the other has 1 label.

Beautiful set Ian,sorry for being away bud,gotta get a 59R to boot,sadly never got round to it,like i said before your steelpots are awesome,so much variation and character.......

Thanks Jake I highly value your opinion and knowledge on the M1. I just didn't realise how varied these pieces could be when I first ventured into this with my eyes totally closed I have the M1 collecting bug really bad right now searching the web every day looking to pick up rare and unusual pieces. I put up one of my PASGT helmets in the ballistic helmet section that I think you would like I got 2 more of these I need to take pics of and post up

Very nice. What you were saying about the multi war service of the liner is a testament to the M1 liner system design. Ease of part replacement, durability of the strap system, all make it one of, if not the best designed liner in the war IMHO. Given the length of service it has had, the evidence seems to support it.