Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 ww2: is it original?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm searching opinions about an m1 that i would to buy in an antique fair. The first impression is that it could be orginal WW2 because it has the front seams and the fixed bales (t

?

Default M1 ww2: is it original?

Hi guys,

I'm searching opinions about an m1 that i would to buy in an antique fair.

The first impression is that it could be orginal WW2 because it has the front seams and the fixed bales (they seems that have been removed but they were).
    But looking that two holes in the rear part and the strange long cut near the front seams, i begin to have doubts about the authenticity.

Pics:

- COMPLETE VIEW

- AN INTERNAL VIEW

- RIGHT SIDE

- THE FRONT SIDE

- THE BACK SIDE

- THE FRONT SEAMS

- RIGHT FIXED BALE REMOVED

- LEFT FIXED BALE REMOVED

- THE STRANGE 2 HOLES IN THE REAR PART

In your opinion, it could be original?
    Thank you in advance

?

Default Re: M1 ww2: is it original?

It's WW2 alright. The damage at the front is a stress crack. Early ones have these a lot. It would be nice to think those holes could be MG strikes (could be,) but I think what you have there is an original pot that has been punched through to fit a handle. These were then used as grain scoops and such.
    I hope it's not too expensive, it's not worth a lot.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

typical of so many M1's left behind from the war,most were converted into some sort of ladle or hanging pot usually on french farms etc as andy said not worth anything but defantly been there with provence type lid,dave

?

First of all thank you so much for your answers.

I know that many helmets were used after the war for civilian use but do not know why, i did not think that the two holes could be used to apply a handle.
    And I think that this hypothesis might be more correct.
    As concerning the damage in the front is interesting to know that there are a lot of helmets with this type of damage caused by stress.

Thanks again to solve my doubts.

P.s, The cost is $ 15, good enough IMHO.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    typical of so many M1's left behind from the war,most were converted into some sort of ladle or hanging pot usually on french farms etc as andy said not worth anything but defantly been there with provence type lid,dave
    It makes me wonder if there is not a little old farmers wife somewhere in Normandy feeding her chickens with one of these that has the funny shaped loops and pretty little aces on the side. Oh well.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    It makes me wonder if there is not a little old farmers wife somewhere in Normandy feeding her chickens with one of these that has the funny shaped loops and pretty little aces on the side. Oh well.

Best Regards,

Andy

I would not be surprised in the slightest. My grandparents use a spent artillery shell as a umbrella stand.

Nitram

your probably right andy somewhere in some distant french farm outbuilding buried under a multitude of mess a delightful d-loop of E company oh yes indeed,wouldn't i be giving it the big'on then of course i would who would'nt,lets all keep looking,dave

?

I'm really sorry to shatter your dreams but the helmet was founded in an abandoned country house in north Italy.
    So the french little old farmers wife you suggest, maybe is an Italian rugged gruff farmer.

?

Same principal

Nitram

?

Understood, thank you. Now, do you really want to get angry?

Unusual

Read it all, especially the link provided therein.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast