Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1C jump helmet Restored.

Article about: Hi guys! As said in my last thread this is the M1C I was waiting on. It looks good overall, But not sure if I am happy with it to be honest. Were it has been restored it is a good job all th

?

Default M1C jump helmet Restored.

Hi guys! As said in my last thread this is the M1C I was waiting on. It looks good overall, But not sure if I am happy with it to be honest. Were it has been restored it is a good job all the hardware is correct and the shell is nice and overall quality finish but see my pictures.. Two holes have been repaired in the exact same place on opposite sides of the fiber liner and the liner edging is in rough shape. The liner is Firestone produced if anyone can give me more information on them please. It is restored like a late war Westinghouse type liner. Not sure if I am going to keep this one, I will ponder it over the next day or two. If anyone is interested let me know. Cheers, Sean.

M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.M1C jump helmet Restored.

?

Hi Sean, that is a super minty looking repro bud, as you probably know Firestone only produced M1-C liners post war and this one does not appear to fit the shell too well. My opinion would that it would make an excellent display piece, but I would be tempted to "dirty" it up a bit.

?

Hi Opex. I actually didn't know that lol! Really? Yeah it doesn't fit it too well, With the netting anyway. Without it, It actually fits in perfectly and tight. I have actually since posting the pics got it wedged in a fair bit more so looks okay. I can just about make a heat stamp out at the front of the shell but nothing solid. I assume it is post war being rear seam. Sat next to my other restored M1C which is front seam Schlueter with Westinghouse liner it looks considerably smaller, Any thoughts on that? I was actually thinking of selling this on because I didn't like the condition of the liner especially with the fillered holes. Which I have now knocked out and cleaned up. Would you reckon it is worth keeping on the fact it is a Firestone liner? Thanks for all the help buddy! Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hi Opex. I actually didn't know that lol! Really? Yeah it doesn't fit it too well, With the netting anyway. Without it, It actually fits in perfectly and tight. I have actually since posting the pics got it wedged in a fair bit more so looks okay. I can just about make a heat stamp out at the front of the shell but nothing solid. I assume it is post war being rear seam. Sat next to my other restored M1C which is front seam Schlueter with Westinghouse liner it looks considerably smaller, Any thoughts on that? I was actually thinking of selling this on because I didn't like the condition of the liner especially with the fillered holes. Which I have now knocked out and cleaned up. Would you reckon it is worth keeping on the fact it is a Firestone liner? Thanks for all the help buddy! Cheers, Sean.
    No worries bud, I think from memory the post war shells are lower in profile, and Firestone made specific Para liners in 1962. Perhaps if you can source another liner you could change the webbing cradle over from this Firestone and your good to go?

I do see what you mean by the condition of the liner not matching the straps and shell etc, if it was in my collection I would be tempted to find another liner

?

I am thinking exactly the same pal! Might throw the liner on ebay and get another. EDIT: It seems a shame because as I said earlier and I am sure you can see, The actual replacement of the hardware and webbing suspension is top notch. Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    I am thinking exactly the same pal! Might throw the liner on ebay and get another. EDIT: It seems a shame because as I said earlier and I am sure you can see, The actual replacement of the hardware and webbing suspension is top notch. Cheers, Sean.

That's a good idea, perhaps if you could pick up a liner minus the webbing suspension you could use the webbing from this one??

Hi sean,for me I would only buy from C.CO_COLLECTIBLES on ebay his work is museum quality and perfectly aged/battle worn,also many of his liners have original HBT webbing,and nape,so its only the chinstraps and markings plus the "D" Bales that are repro,and officially from scratch all wartime M1C's would have been kitted out with a Westinghouse liner as they were the only manufacture by the end of 1944 however many earlier type liners may well have found there way into a new shell,sorry to hear your not so happy with your purchase,and of coarse Gary(opex)is correct in saying Firestone's first Airborne contract was indeed 1962 in the p55 liner program.............

?

Thanks Jake Well.. I have decided I am going to sell this one on and instead of breaking the bank this month with an import USMC LWH it might actually be instead a faithful M1C lid. Cheers, Sean.