Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay

Article about: Hi, I picked this one up off of ebay. I would like to get opinions. Looks like a Major Oak leaf. The only concern is that the laundry number is generally not consistent with an officer's hel

Default Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay

Hi,
    I picked this one up off of ebay.
    I would like to get opinions.
    Looks like a Major Oak leaf.
    The only concern is that the laundry number is generally not consistent with an officer's helmet.
    Maybe the helmet was reissued to the officer later or he was promoted in the field.
    Any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay   Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay  

Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay   Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay  

Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay   Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay  

?

The shell is good but I notice it doesn't have a white officers bar in the back. without a hands on inspection I just really can't say for sure.

I have a WWII Bird Col helmet without a follow me stripe. Follow me stripes were not on all officer helmets to my knowledge. At least that was my understanding.

Nice shell,was there a Liner to go with it?the follow me stripe was exclusive to the ETO as far as i'm aware,i see the J hook has been replaced at some stage,either late war or post,maybe the complete chinstraps were done,hard to tell,don't you think the oak leaf looks maybe a little too fresh Anton?,still a nice looking shell with a been there patina look to it,well done either way on this purchase.

Honestly I do not think the oak leaf looks fresh.
    Once again the photos make it look fresher than it is.
    The paint on most of the helmet is really clean.

The insignia is too big, IMO, and should be 1 inch across.

Are both this one and the Lt helmet from the same
    seller ? Notice the similar type of stamp kit and
    inkused for numbering the shells.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The insignia is too big, IMO, and should be 1 inch across.
    In WWII the regs were not adhered to strictly.

Are both this one and the Lt helmet from the same
    seller ? Notice the same type of stamp kit and ink
    used for numbering the shells........
    No they are not from the same seller.
    But they both came from the same manufacturer (McCord radiator company) and that could explain why the stamping looks similar.

What does look weird is in the two heatstamp photo's shown it looks like the heatstamp is in two completely differant places,maybe my eyes.
    edit-are these of both McCord shells your showing?that would explain the differance.

The two photos above are the same area from different angles on the very same McCord helmet (at the bottom of post number 1).

Here are some close ups of the leaf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay   Major helmet fixed loop pick up from ebay  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast